What are you canning now?

Basically, honey, butter, and heavy whipping cream. I've got a couple of posts around here with the recipe. Great stuff for putting on toast or english muffins.
That sounds delicious! Do you think the mixing could be done with a mixer, since I don't have a blender or food processor?

Should be able to as long as the mixer is speedy enough. Part of the reason for the blender is to get the mixture whipped. Kinda like the whipped honey spread you can buy. What about an immersion blender?

Only one way to find out. ;)

That sounds delicious! Do you think the mixing could be done with a mixer, since I don't have a blender or food processor?

It might work without the additional sugar, just not as sweet ... Remember that sugar is considered a wet ingredient, so if the mixture doesn't get light and smooth enough, you could probably add some more honey but I wouldn't add it unless it is needed.
But, on further consideration, boiling the sugar/honey/cream mixture also tells me that the sugar may be needed to help it set and hold the texture without breaking down.
Oh my, I am really overthinking this whole thing.

That's what I was thinking, too. I don't know much about the chemistry of cooking and I thought the sugar may serve some important purpose, to stabilize the mixture, or to whip up to the desired consistency.

Thanks you three for explaining why the sugar might be needed. That is what I was thinking but wasn't sure how to say it or if I was thinking along the right track. I'm not a cook per se. I'm a follow the directions kinda cook. That is part of the reason I like canning much more than regular cooking. My wife on the other hand loves recipes but uses them as more of a suggestion than as a roadmap. ;)

But all you can do is try it without the sugar. Worst that can happen is that you have to throw out the goo if it doesn't work.

Airlocks, yeast, and plugs arrived yesterday. Now all I need are some 1g glass jugs and some apple cider. :D

I've got 12 pints of field peas in the canner as I write this. That's the last of the field peas for this year. All the plants have been removed, some fertilizer spread & the ground forked over a little. Next week, strawberries get planted in those beds.

@jomoncon what type of berries do you use? I was thinking about getting a bed started
soon, but I have never really had luck with the local store bought, and they come out in the stores too late for us.

Back
Top Bottom