What are you canning??

dianehodges

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
As of today I have canned 25 quarts of tomatoes and tomato sauce I have also pickled asparagus and beets The dry weather has taken its toll

Oh, I wish I had asparagus this year!
Anyway, I just finished canning or freezing some tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon.
Tomorrow will be some peppers, okra, and collard greens.
I try to do three items/day to keep on top of things.
For me it can get overwhelming real fast.
This is my FIRST garden and first time preserving, so I'm all excited.

big_smile.png

You will love how good everything tastes Cantaloupe, watermelon and collard greens never canned those before Your garden sounds huge Do you have any chickens?

So far, it's been cherry pie filling, cherry sauce, and peach habanero jam. The tomatoes are just coming out, so I'm stockpiling them in the freezer for marinara and salsa. Tomatillos are growing for salsa verde. Depending on how many hot peppers we get (it's not looking promising this year) I'll do some hot pickles. I always do applesauce, plum jelly, and plum chutney around September. I'll probably put some of my green beans into dilly beans. But I don't pressure can, so my options are limited. The freezer is going to get the low-acid marinara, green beans, and pumpkin puree.

Pumpkin, yellow squash, and sweet corn?

I have waaaay to much of each of these. What are the best ways to preserve? I was thinking of roasting, pureeing and freezing the pumpkin (I have done this before and am very satisfied with the results).
The corn I was thinking of cooking then removing from cob and freezing (like my grandma used to do).
What about the yellow squash?
Or is pressure canning cubes of squash and pumpkin perhaps better? Would they be more versatile cubed and canned?

I don't count jelly/jam as "canning", but that doesn't mean i got off the hook this year. I'm so burned out on canning stuff, and my root cellar is full already.
This year it will be a lot of tomato sauce, and paste (if my patience holds out). Also green tomato salsa.
Apple pie filling when the apples are ready.
We found a recipe to die for called Cowboy Candy. It's candied jalapenos, so that will be on the list.
Add to that our canned chicken, and smoked sockeye salmon.
We make onion and cabbage kimchi, but that's not really a canning process.
We'll be canning beets, if they get big enough before the snow comes.
Oh, yeah...pickled zucchini. I'm up to my hips in zucchini.
I live 8 miles south of the Canadian border, so our growing season was about 2 1/2 months this year. My squash (pumpkins, Hubbard, etc) were all stopped short by a frost 3 days ago. <sigh>

I don't count jelly/jam as "canning", but that doesn't mean i got off the hook this year. I'm so burned out on canning stuff, and my root cellar is full already.
This year it will be a lot of tomato sauce, and paste (if my patience holds out). Also green tomato salsa.
Apple pie filling when the apples are ready.
We found a recipe to die for called Cowboy Candy. It's candied jalapenos, so that will be on the list.
Add to that our canned chicken, and smoked sockeye salmon.
We make onion and cabbage kimchi, but that's not really a canning process.
We'll be canning beets, if they get big enough before the snow comes.
Oh, yeah...pickled zucchini. I'm up to my hips in zucchini.
I live 8 miles south of the Canadian border, so our growing season was about 2 1/2 months this year. My squash (pumpkins, Hubbard, etc) were all stopped short by a frost 3 days ago. <sigh>

I did cowboy candy last year- it's pretty good! Very sweet but good. It goes great on things like burgers.

Back
Top Bottom