What are you giving up for Lent (if anything)??

I am not Catholic, either. But I do observe Lent. I did not know that it was a Catholic thing. But I have given up sweets. I am a sweet-a-holic. Have to have sweets every day. Right now I am trying to make the sweet craving go away. So I'd say this is a real sacrifice for me. One year I gave up coffee. It was awful.

Some of these are so funny. I really liked the giving up gossiping idea. Can we give up more than one thing? I think I will anyway.

Kris

Quote:
I'm a teacher of the Catholic faith to young adults. Here's some of what we discuss during class time during Lent:

Lent is meant to be a time of preparation for the celebration of the death, resurrection, ascention of Jesus and the feast of Pentecost (which ends the whole holy season)

To live in imitation of Jesus is very difficult and Lent is a time set aside by the Church from its very beginnings so each of us can refocus on our relationship with God and with each other.

Jesus fasted for 40 days, and in some ways we fast. It isn't as strict as Ramadan observances by 'regulation' but it can be if one is able and believes it is for one's spiritual good. Giving up chocolate or TV or something is good, but it isn't supposed to be the only thing we do once we are adults. Its supposed to be a place we start, but certainly not the only thing we do.

On Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent) and Good Friday (the day that commemorates Jesus' suffering and death) we fast eating only one meal a day (or breaking one meal up into three very small portions throughout the day if fasting makes us ill)

Those who can often fast from all meat for all 40 days (there are 46 days total, but the Sundays of Lent are never days of fasting. Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday and it is always a day of joyful celebration) Some in the Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches fast from: oil, meat, milk, eggs and wine/alcoholic drinks & sugars for all of Lent, and some observe the Great Fast for just the week before Easter.

In my parish, there are some that fast on only bread and water on Fridays or on Wed and Fridays, and some people do fast for the full 40 days on a very strict bread and water diet for the full 40 days. The Church gives guidelines, but we are free to expand on them as we are spiritually able. We aren't supposed to kill ourselves, neither are we supposed to allow ourselves to become so grumpy and irritable that we make others suffer our fast with us in our attitude.

We eat no animal or poultry meats on Fridays of Lent. We are supposed to fast from pleasant things like sweets and donate the money we would have spent to charities. We are supposed to do acts of charity ourselves, and works of mercy for those in need. We are called by the Church to examine our lives and pray, asking God to show us how we can better live in the example of Jesus.

We are supposed to look to self-discipline, fostering mercy (fasting from gossip, fasting from jealousy, fasting from immoral/bad behavior/habits, fasting from hatred etc) and that is meant to remain with us after Lent is over! We are supposed to try to allow ourselves to become more like Christ, not look forward to sinning again.

We are also called to give alms, make sure we examine our consciences and confess ours sins (there is a letter in the Bible from the Apostle James that admonishes us to 'confess your sins to one another.' so we go to a priest, who is not permitted to speak our sins to anyone else and do that).

My parish priest suggested that we get a good book on prayer or other spiritually beneficial reading and make that part of our Lent. Something to help focus us back on Jesus and not on ourselves. He also asked that we set aside an additional block of time every day for quiet time of prayer and reflection on the Scriptures.

So, I chose a book, "How to pray always" by Fr Raoul Plus and am setting a side a little more time in the evening when my autistic son falls asleep to a quiet time of prayer. I'll probably fall asleep! But I'll try.

Below are a few articles that I found that give some history.

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0702.html

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0527.htm

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/civilization/cc0207.html on why we 'give things up' for Lent.

I am giving up jelly beans, and it sure is tough. My husband went to our favorite factory, and got a ton of jelly beans just before Ash Wednesday. Now I have to live with the fact that they are in the cupboard, and I can't have any until Easter.
hit.gif

Of course...we're allowed those goodies on Sundays...
love.gif

I tried finding it in the bible but it only says lentils........So its like something you dont have to do since the bible doesnt talk about it?Sorry im just confused about it....
I also didnt find anything for alms in the bible.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom