What are you selling your eggs for per dozen?

Quote:
we talked before...I still love your packaging!! I'm going clear split cartons.
thumbsup.gif

In my area (suburban Detroit), the Whole Foods Market is carrying certified pasture raised eggs for $7 a dozen. Then again, a friend of mine sells hers for $4 a dozen (in recycled paper cartons) OR there is an online site where local farmers sell CSA and family farm (organic) leftovers, and those pasture raised eggs go for $6 a dozen, delivered to a store near my house. My first stop is my friend's house, as I KNOW her, love to support her, know her chickens and what they eat and where they run around. My next stop is the website from local farmers. I'll pay a buck less to spend less gas than to go to Whole Foods! Lastly, if I am desperate and it's the middle of winter here, I will cross my fingers and hope the Whole Foods birds are laying. It's REALLY hard to choke down $7 a dozen, but then again, once I had real eggs, it's hard to go back to commercial ones. I would actually prefer to just not eat eggs till laying season starts again!

BUT, I have just moved to a little five + acre farm with a barn and a coop, and have chickens coming, both from a friend, and some that I ordered. I have a feeling that in the summer I'll have more eggs than I can use, and then some! I'm thinking $4 a dozen sounds good, as my friend who sells her eggs seems to do well with that cost... I will see what the market can bear!
wink.png
...my husband works in a less rural area, and I am thinking that that "put it on the desk in a clear carton" idea is an AWESOME one!

I like the 3 x 4 cartons because that makes them even more unique but my customers say they wont fit in that goofy little egg flap shelf thingy in the frige....

Thanks for the link for the cheap clear cartons! Yesterday we bought 13 Golden Comets who are 15 mo old. Even with the stress of being moved, they still laid 9 eggs today, so I can see I will soon run out of the cartons I've been saving up. I guess if people complain about them not fitting in their egg compartment in their fridge, I will just ask them to bring their own cartons. Probably won't have any to sell until my 16 week olds start to lay. By the time I supply my family and a few friends, and also the dogs who are on a whole prey raw food diet, I'm sure I won't have a lot of surplus just yet. But I'm glad to know I have them on hand for when I do need them, and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for them!
Thanks again!
big_smile.png

We started out selling at $3 a dozen, or $1.75 a half dozen, and the waiting list got too long. So I went up to $3.50 a dozen or 35 cents each. Still have people calling and asking to be put on the list for eggs. They aren't laying at the moment so I'm not adding anyone new to our waiting list, and I even called people and told them they would probably go up to $4 once we have steady production again, and no one cares. I could probably charge more than that and folks would pay it.

Organic, cage-free "jumbo" brown eggs are selling for $4.22 a dozen at the WalMart here. They are smaller than what our hens lay.

What amazes me even more than people willing to pay such premium prices, is that they are willing to WAIT for our hens to lay them.

Back
Top Bottom