What are you selling your eggs for per dozen?

I cant call mine organic cause I spray the weeds in my gravel driveway....but they are happy, free range (not on the driveway since I baby sit them from hawks and my garden) but they are certainly hormone and antibiotic free...eat bugs and strawberries for breakfast, get locked safely in a cozy coop at night and they all have names and wonderful personalities...OH! One more thing...I use a pencil to write the name and date of the bird who laid that egg on it. People go CRAZY to see that Matilda and Ruby made their breakfast!(or whoever)

We get $2 a dozen for the few eggs we do sell. The girls are not laying well right now, so it takes several days to get to a dozen. But the people who do buy from us wait patiently.
smile.png

Tell anyone who wants to store eggs on the egg-thingy in the refrigerator - that's the worst place in the refrigerator to store them. Here's info about it:

Do not store eggs in the egg trays on the inside of the refrigerator door. The temperature here is higher than other parts of the fridge and fluctuates with frequent door opening. Keep eggs in their original carton and place near the top of the fridge.

(Here's the link for the quote: http://www.helpwithcooking.com/food-storage/refrigeration-tips.html )

Eggs around here sell for $4 a dozen - that's the ones sold at the farmers' market.​

The picture of the dozen eggs posted by Eggrookie is the best egg packaging I have ever seen especially with all the different colors. To top it off she writes the chickens name on the egg. I know that in a major city people would pay $10 for a dozen eggs like that. As for me we only have six chicks 19 weeks old and only three have started to lay. Whatever eggs are left after we have breakfast we give to our neighbors.

Thanks so much for everyone who contributed here. I guess that I will start out on the high side probably around 4 dollars and if I have to come down some I will. It is difficult to go up once you cut the price. I live in a very rural, Blue Ridge Mts of NC. People here are very frugal almost to the point of being miserly. Even people who have some money are very tight. Everybody wants you to give them something. They think that if you have more eggs, more garden produce, or anything that you have an abundance of, that you ought to give it to them. Hey, I don't mind sharing with neighbors but I get tired of the "give me" mentality. Sorry for the negativity but it is the truth. The other thing that is unique about people here is that they don't want you to make any money off of them. They will drive 25 miles ( nearest grocery store) and pay for commercial eggs rather than buy from a neighbor at the same price. Other than that, they are great folks.

I sell at my stand $4.00 some guy buys them (when he can) and sells them to the city folks for $6.50
roll.png

I use the clear egg cartons too from the same place but I get the 6 pack circular ones.
They really show off my blue eggs!
I sell 6 packs for 3.00
12 for 5.00
I give a .25 discount to those who lable their cartons and return them to me for refilling.
Returned/reused cartons are used only for the same family and never given to some one else.

I've always heard the door was a bad place for eggs so we rarely have anything in those flaps (for lack of a better word). We moved our shelves around so that one shelf is really close to the shelf we keep the milk on top the only thing that fits there is eggs.

I used to get eggs from a friend whose chickens are free range cage free they charge $2 a dozen. We live in Nebraska. I haven't checked the prices at the farmers market. I can't afford store cage free organic etc eggs at our local stores that's a big part of why I like having my own chickens. My husband says at this rate we will never recoup our investment cost since we only have 3 chickens and I should consider every egg they lay a golden egg because that's what it cost us.

Back
Top Bottom