1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What are you using to secure hardware cloth?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MarieNC, Jul 5, 2010.

1. MarieNC

MarieNC Songster

May 10, 2010
    We are getting very close to being done with our run. We have some heavy duty galvanized steel wire for the run that I plan to cover with an additional layer of hardware cloth. We have the steel wire nailed down with those U shaped nails, but I'm not sure what to affix the hardware cloth with. I have a heavy duty electric staples with 1/2 inch staples, but it doesn't seem to really be good enough to affix the wire. Really hoping NOT to have to nail more U shaped nails, but I will if I have to. So what are ya'll using? Thanks!

2. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Screws with washers.

3. woodguy

woodguy In the Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    Most people have been attaching it with screws & washers to make it predator proof.
    Ahh....you beat me to the punch!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think the washers and screws are best, but we use a strip of 1x2 wood and screws over top of the hardware cloth, making a sandwich. The wood and frame of the run being the bread and the wire the innerds.

5. woodguy

woodguy In the Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    I was going to try using some galvanized 1 1/2" roofing nails, nailed into the corners of the 1/2" squares, and then cover all of the framing and wire edges with 1/2" or 3/4" thick wooden laths.....
    Has anyone tried using the roofing nail technique? I thought it would leave a nice flat surface for the laths.

6. Ga.chickenman

Ga.chickenman Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Vidalia
    I have and it works great!![​IMG]

7. woodguy

woodguy In the Brooder

May 2, 2010
    Bushwood
    Ga.chickenman :

I have and it works great!![​IMG]

Cool....Thanks!​

8. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Songster

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Uh - oh...we used 3/4" wood staples for the cloth over the vents at the top of our coop. Should I reinforce it??

9. kla37

kla37 Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    U shaped nails. Ours are specifically called poultry clips.

10. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    We use staples with our stapler for the air compressor!! Makes things WAY easier!!

Missi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by