WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? WHAT DID YOU JUST RECEIVE?

wee.gif
Just called the PO, my chicks are here!!!! Headed to get them now
celebrate.gif
Pics to follow

OK, while worried about the "dead chick deliveries from the PO," Mine shipped Monday eve and arrived Wed morning. Just got them home, unpacked them, gave each a taste of poultry nutri-drench and placed them in their brooder.
wee.gif
They all were/are alive and happy. Most are running around, drinking. There were a couple that were a bit lethargic when I took them out of the box. I hope the nutri-drench helps them perk up. Some are starting to figure out what the fermented feed is all about.
pop.gif
I ordered 32 total (+ a free mystery chick), and they move so fast I can't count them accurately, but I got a few more than the 32 I ordered :) I need to get a pic while they are all huddled at one end together so I can count them. I think there are 34 and the extras are an Australorp/mystery chick.+

There are supposed to be 7 pullets each of; white wyandotte, new hampshire red, buff orp, and black australorps and one roo from each of the 4 as well. Seems there are 10 of the dark colored ones so one of those must be the mystery chick and I guess I got an extra australorp.

The first brave chicks pecking at the FF. Once they get a taste, they seem to like it.
woot.gif

In the final pic, you can see my golden, who was VERY interested and had to have a sniff of each and every chick as it came out of the box on the way to the brooder. She now knows these are MY chicks and she can't play with (eat) them.
D.gif
She keeps going into the back bedroom where they are to "check" on them
gig.gif
I guess the noises coming out of that big box she can't really see over are very intriguing
hu.gif
Maybe I own a LGD now? I sure hope so as last night walking out back I saw (and chased off) a fox running down the back fence line toward where the coops are under construction.

So 4-5 months from now, I should start getting fresh eggs!

Last edited:
OK, while worried about the "dead chick deliveries from the PO," Mine shipped Monday eve and arrived Wed morning. Just got them home, unpacked them, gave each a taste of poultry nutri-drench and placed them in their brooder.
wee.gif
They all were/are alive and happy. Most are running around, drinking. There were a couple that were a bit lethargic when I took them out of the box. I hope the nutri-drench helps them perk up. Some are starting to figure out what the fermented feed is all about.
pop.gif
I ordered 32 total (+ a free mystery chick), and they move so fast I can't count them accurately, but I got a few more than the 32 I ordered :) I need to get a pic while they are all huddled at one end together so I can count them. I think there are 34 and the extras are an Australorp/mystery chick.

There are supposed to be 7 pullets each of; white wyandotte, new hampshire red, buff orp, and black australorps and one roo from each of the 4 as well. Seems there are 10 of the dark colored ones so one of those must be the mystery chick and I guess I got an extra australorp.

The first brave chicks pecking at the FF. Once they get a taste, they seem to like it.
woot.gif

In the final pic, you can see my golden, who was VERY interested and had to have a sniff of each and every chick as it came out of the box on the way to the brooder. She now knows these are MY chicks and she can't play with (eat) them.
D.gif
She keeps going into the back bedroom where they are to "check" on them
gig.gif
I guess the noises coming out of that big box she can't really see over are very intriguing
hu.gif
Maybe I own a LGD now? I sure hope so as last night walking out back I saw (and chased off) a fox running down the back fence line toward where the coops are under construction.

So 4-5 months from now, I should start getting fresh eggs!
congrats on the new babys..i no my dog thinks of them as babys or puppys i guess ..funny watching the dog bring her ball to the fence and want the birds to play ball..

well have fun , thats alot of birds to start out with ..i mean alot of butts to watch for pasty butt..lol..enjoy even with pasty bottom they are beuatiful..oh and start collecting carttons now ..haha..you can never have enough cartons it seems..
yesss.gif

congrats on the new babys..i no my dog thinks of them as babys or puppys i guess ..funny watching the dog bring her ball to the fence and want the birds to play ball..

well have fun , thats alot of birds to start out with ..i mean alot of butts to watch for pasty butt..lol..enjoy even with pasty bottom they are beuatiful..oh and start collecting carttons now ..haha..you can never have enough cartons it seems..
yesss.gif

Thanks! I already have the folks at work bringing in their empties :) They've been good about it... Maybe because I promised them free eggs down the road?

Hi, Got some cute bitty babies I see. My Chihuahua really gets after the brooder, but the border collies whine and try to look over the edge too, but they can't see over the top either, Aren't those produce boxes from the grocery stores wonderful! All you have to do is get a cardboard bottom and you are in! And the holes on the corner had to be taped shut, my little male Chihuahua kept trying to get his head inside. It was hilarious but scared the crap out of the chicks. Now they try and peck his nose!

Here are my border collies trying to sneak a peek.

How sweet they all look!
Did you order from Cackle or another hatchery this time?
I ordered mine from Murray McMurray and will use them again. They did exactly what they said they would do and I'm very pleased with the whole experience with them.. I'm sure the same can be said by most about the hatchery they used as well :)

Quote: That's great! and yes, my brooder is from a watermelon box from wallyworld
clap.gif
I put a large folded piece of cardboard underneath, but then just to be sure, wrapped the whole thing in a tarp... just in case
hu.gif
Don't think the chicks can knock over the waterer, but I might, or whatever :) I was looking at those corner holes as well, and I better get them covered pretty quick before they can jump that high and fall through! I'd hate to have to tear it apart to get a chick un-stuck from between the box and tarp! It seems like they have already doubled in size since I removed them from their packing crate this morning
ep.gif
I'm thinking a couple of weeks and I'm going to have to get another box and split them into 2 brooders. There won't be room for 32 in that one!

That's great! and yes, my brooder is from a watermelon box from wallyworld
clap.gif
I put a large folded piece of cardboard underneath, but then just to be sure, wrapped the whole thing in a tarp... just in case
hu.gif
Don't think the chicks can knock over the waterer, but I might, or whatever :) I was looking at those corner holes as well, and I better get them covered pretty quick before they can jump that high and fall through! I'd hate to have to tear it apart to get a chick un-stuck from between the box and tarp! It seems like they have already doubled in size since I removed them from their packing crate this morning
ep.gif
I'm thinking a couple of weeks and I'm going to have to get another box and split them into 2 brooders. There won't be room for 32 in that one!

I did the same thing but cut a pathway between them so that they would all be socialized and not fight. I also had to cover the top because they were jumping up on the feeder and trying to fly out. They are great little flyers at just two weeks!

Back
Top Bottom