What are your chicken goals

Pics
i think our goals are constantly changing. at first it was just fresh eggs and eat the extras. then it became breed specific goals. to improve the cubalaya, which was extremely inbred and being ruined by the show people. make them bigger, more productive, closer to the standard. i feel like i did that with my white cubalayas and came up with some interesting new colors to boot. goal accomplished. then preserving the reynolds asil (harris), so far so good. my newest goal is to take several breeds and breed them together to make a newer better breed. still working on this one. i am calling them blue and black crushers for now but will eventually be VA Brazillian Pluckers. a blend of saab rodgers pasquale brazilian, ga plucker, saab north indian asil, saab hammer asil, harris asil and saab viper. largest percentage of blood is brazilian and ga
Your goals sound fun!!! Breeding for specifics is not something i wish to dabble in...itll become a rabbit hole and my hubby puts up with my chicken talk enough 🤣🤣🤣
I've not heard of any of these breeds.

So I suppose I am off to Google some more bahahahaha

i think our goals are constantly changing. at first it was just fresh eggs and eat the extras. then it became breed specific goals. to improve the cubalaya, which was extremely inbred and being ruined by the show people. make them bigger, more productive, closer to the standard. i feel like i did that with my white cubalayas and came up with some interesting new colors to boot. goal accomplished. then preserving the reynolds asil (harris), so far so good. my newest goal is to take several breeds and breed them together to make a newer better breed. still working on this one. i am calling them blue and black crushers for now but will eventually be VA Brazillian Pluckers. a blend of saab rodgers pasquale brazilian, ga plucker, saab north indian asil, saab hammer asil, harris asil and saab viper. largest percentage of blood is brazilian and ga
What a fascinating project! When you say "better breed" what do you mean exactly? More meat? Longer lived? Hardier?

I want to provide my own meat and eggs, I'd like to avoid/eliminate having to buy any chicken products.
My aim at the moment is to breed (and hopefully show at some point) a small selection of rare/heritage breeds, as well as some rare varieties within more common breeds. What those breeds are/will be often shifts, current goal is:
Buff Sussex
Barnevelder
Vorwerk
Sebright
Showgirl Silkies
Of that list I currently have the Sussex and the Barnevelders.

Last edited:
I want to provide my own meat and eggs, I'd like to avoid/eliminate having to buy any chicken products.
My aim at the moment is to breed (and hopefully show at some point) a small selection of rare/heritage breeds, as well as some rare varieties in more common breeds. What those breeds are/will be often shifts, current goal is:
Buff Sussex
Barnevelder
Vorwerk
Sebright
Showgirl Silkies
Sebrights are wonderful! So pretty and sassy.

My aim at the moment is to breed (and hopefully show at some point) a small selection of rare/heritage breeds, as well as some rare varieties within more common breeds. What those breeds are/will be often shifts, current goal is:
Buff Sussex
Barnevelder
Vorwerk
Sebright
Showgirl Silkies
Awesome goals!!!
I haven't experienced any of these breeds but I do like the sebrights!!

So in talks with my hubby, I am realizing my chicken goals are changing.
Originally I wanted a smallish flock (I have 19 girls, 1 cockerel) and whatever extra eggs we get I just give away, mainly at work.

(Literally keeping 60-80 eggs in my fridge, fam of 7, and likely give away 7 dozen or so a wk. )

I knew I wanted to raise our own meat chickens too.

In discussion, I realized I want more eggs to give away! (Yes I said give away, makes my heart super happy to just provide people with eggs) not only that, my kids would like to sell eggs at the farmers market.

So we are nixing the turkeys for now, focused on a second coop and run for abt 30 more chickens!!! These will be dual purpose as the goal to raise our own meat hasn't been eliminated. (Anyone have dual purpose breed suggestions?)

So as of now the goals are:
50 chickens or so running around.
A plethora of eggs to give away/ kids to sell
and meat for the freezer.

What are your chicken goals??
Can you read my post I dont not know what to do to help my chicken thanks

I also really enjoy their antics. My hubby thinks i am weird bc I just watch the chickens lol...

I also randomly tell him how much I love them 🤣🤣🤣
I walk around the house and will randomly say outloud ' I love my chickens' to noone in particular. I love my girls. They make me smile. I hope yours will always do good 🐓❤️

If that is weird, I am weird too. 😊
Me too! I giggle to myself thinking about how happy they make me. Fortunately my learning continues, and heading into winter I'm not a basket case like i was last year (my first winter with chickens). I think my GLW's got pretty upset after I wrapped the run. I dont blame them. It was freezing cold for a couple nights and now its been in the 30's, low 40's over night. Maybe i wrapped a little too soon, but its the end of November and normally CT would be much colder. Days have been incthe high 40's low 50's! The chickens LOVE it. When they run with their heads down bobbing back and forth and a shake shake all caught up to the flock with a little chatter to tell me. We can go on and on! Patient finally has gotten a grip on her molting and looks to have put on weight as well as getting her groove back. Theres nothing like a thriving flock. Its my favorite. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• C3F13767-9CB6-49E9-A7BC-91A4C1FF83B2.jpeg
    C3F13767-9CB6-49E9-A7BC-91A4C1FF83B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I walk around the house and will randomly say outloud ' I love my chickens' to noone in particular. I love my girls. They make me smile. I hope yours will always do good 🐓❤️
They are so great!!! I hope yours thrive as well!
Me too! I giggle to myself thinking about how happy they make me. Fortunately my learning continues, and heading into winter I'm not a basket case like i was last year (my first winter with chickens). I think my GLW's got pretty upset after I wrapped the run. I dont blame them. It was freezing cold for a couple nights and now its been in the 30's, low 40's over night. Maybe i wrapped a little too soon, but its the end of November and normally CT would be much colder. Days have been incthe high 40's low 50's! The chickens LOVE it. When they run with their heads down bobbing back and forth and a shake shake all caught up to the flock with a little chatter to tell me. We can go on and on! Patient finally has gotten a grip on her molting and looks to have put on weight as well as getting her groove back. Theres nothing like a thriving flock. Its my favorite. 🐓❤️
I am glad your girls are getting their groove back!!! I love that everyone's flocks are doing so well!
I wrapped my run too and now we are having a few "warm" days but alas, it's wrapped and it'll stay that way lol

Back
Top Bottom