1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are Your Chickens Named?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Theofire88, May 2, 2015.

1. Alexmm

Alexmm New Egg

Dec 22, 2014
    I am from Germany so I named all my chickens with old traditional German names, there is Hildegard. Rosemarie, Liesel, Helga and Irmgard...

2. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Major - BO Rooster
    Mable- BO
    Rosemary- BR
    Thyme- BR
    Stella -SS
    Lacy-LO
    Olivia-BO
    Ellie Mae-sex link
    Pepper Pots-BR
    Josie-RIR
    Sasha -CL
    Ivana-CL
    Sophia-MO bantam
    Daisy Mae - BO
    Gracie-EE
    Rosalina SLW
    Amelia-EE
    Sadie-Welsummer
    Delilah-BC
    DeeDee-BC
    Bonnie-Bielfelder

Edited to add : Lady Gaga -Buff Polish, Lacy and Lulu Lav orpingtons R.I.P

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. OKusmcChckens

OKusmcChckens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2015
    Oklahoma
    My son named them. Spot, peep, chip, dusty and turkey. Yes I have a chicken named turkey.

4. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop

Love. It! I was going for Old Biddy names. Yours certainly fit the bill; only the first one is MY name, spelled Alys.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. grannygottem

grannygottem New Egg

May 21, 2015
    There's Cocky Locky, Blondie, Big Red, Blackbeard, Easter, Blue, Henny Penny, Black, Meanie, Long Legs, Goofy and the other Red one. We just let Blue (a blue laced red Wyandotte) hatch one day's eggs. She had sat on a plastic egg over a week - of 6 available, 5 hatched - on May 1. Looks like one will be a black, 3 are turning red and one that was a yellow fluff ball has black feathers showing up in wings. So, waiting to see if she will be like Henny Penny (Barred Rock) or what - Cocky Locky is daddy to all. Blue is the best mamma ever!

6. fruity7

fruity7 New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Nerd alert for our chook names. Some don't have names but here's the ones I can remember.

Princess Layer, Bruce, Robin,Julius and Brutus - OEG bantams hens.
    Sirius (Black Australorp Roo)
    Temujin- Jungle Fowl Roo
    Boudica and Beyonce, cage rescue Isa Browns
    Racing stripes, Ginger Biscuit, more Isa Bs.

And our black and cuckoo pekins go by the group name 'the cloud'.

Think I will call my next roo Paul

Loving reading other people's names.

7. MoClo

MoClo New Egg

May 7, 2015
    I love reading all these names! I have 9 young hens who are still unnamed. We just can't figure out who they are yet. We tend to choose names of musicians and songs. But the older gals who are named:

Queen Latifah - Australorp
    Elvis - Minorca hen
    Black Betty - Minorca

Our barred rocks are collectively named Marie and only I can tell them apart so they're official names are
    Little Marie
    Sweet Marie
    and MY Marie

Midge and Fidget - Bantam Cochins

and the one who literally rules the roost and is the broodiest chicken I've ever known is...

Mother Clucker

8. 4wets

4wets New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    I name all my chickens after family;
    The head of the hen pecking line is Muriel (my mother's name[​IMG])
    My only Roo; "JE" ... My dad's first&amid fled names; James Elias
    Aster
    Ophila
    Leona
    Nell
    Joyce
    Pearl
    Martwell
    Dot
    Delsie
    Agatha
    Sue

9. grannygottem

grannygottem New Egg

May 21, 2015
    We sure are not experts, but your broodie hen has been trying to tell you something for a while. A couple years ago, we decided to give one hen a try, after she stayed on a nest for a couple of weeks so loyal. We had fertile eggs (we thought) but had never let a hen set. One day I gave her 3 to set on. I marked them with black magic marker, a big X on them, so we would know hers from a daily fresh egg. Of the 3, 2 hatched out after 21 days just like clockwork. She kept them inside the hen house about a week, where we provided water and chick starter. The other girls never bothered them much till they got bigger and had to be shooed away from food etc. We've allowed any broody hen to have a hatch since then. Our "Blue" has been the best mamma, amazing how sweetly she leads them to treats etc. Good luck with yours.

10. tlee1956

tlee1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2015
    Idaho
    I have an Astrolorp named Bernadette; BO named Coraline; Sussex is Nutmeg; BR, Mabel; NN, Clover. My first chickens. Four of them are about 7 or 8 weeks, Nutmeg about 4 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by