What are your chicks favorite treats?

Nikkieblue

Chirping
Feb 20, 2016
Orlando, fl
I've only given my chicks scrambled eggs as a treat so far which they absolutely go nuts for, but today I felt a little curious to see how they would like strawberries... They did not have the slightest interest in it at all!
So I would like to know what your chicks like?
pop.gif

Last edited:
Ours are true piggies-there isn't anything they won't eat!
tongue.png
So far, we haven't given our current 24 chicks a whole lot of treats, but our previous babies lost their minds over carbs. Bread was devoured, but I never knew what hit me when I stuck my hand down into the brooder with muffin crumbs on it! I was genuinely afraid they would rip my skin off, to be honest.
roll.png
They only get that stuff on rare occasion, but when they do, it's always a sight to be remembered.

~Alex

Ours like small bugs, and a manna pro chick stick. Not even a week has passed and the stick is down to nothing. :) They also love when we add water to their starter and make a porridge out of it.

Their favorites are bugs and worms (flightless fruit flies, crickets, red wigglers, mealworms, waxworms, superworms). Second favorite is seeds (we've done sesame, flax, and BOSS). Then they've gotten a whole host of sprouts, chopped/diced veggies, some fruits, grains, fodder (mixed grain and legume). They've been getting clumps of weeds lately (dandelions are a favorite).

The only things that mine wouldn't eat so far was warm oatmeal and canned green beans w/ roasted garlic. Since I gave them the green beans because I didn't like them, can't blame them. The oatmeal I tried before I started feeding FF, so it may have been the sticky wetness that made them avoid it. I did give them some leftover crockpot steel cut oats with apples and dried cranberries that they didn't object to in the slightest.

I forgot they have had Chick Stick too! I sprinkled that on the strawberries to see if would interest them more. They just picked it off! lol

I can't wait to try all of the things you guys have mentioned!
Thanks for sharing!
tongue.png

Tried banana today, and they could care less. Then this evening my kids and their friends caught a few crickets, tossed them in with the chicks and they went crazy! I felt a little bad but it was fun to watch them running and catching them. :D

Mine love Sunflower seeds and Oats. We had one chick with wry neck and we gave him this along with his normal food, as they are high in Vitamin C and Selenium, which deficiency from the parents causes wry neck. We separated him and he is now fully recovered, although he still tends to look at us sideways when we call him. He is still separated but sleeps in his own box with the rest of his brothers and sisters at night and during the day runs around outside and in the house, thanks to his human sister. That is how the rest of them came to getting the seeds and oats as a treat, and they love it.

I've offered some mashed banana, strawberries, yogurt, scrambled egg, hard boiled egg, sprouts, and chia seeds. They wouldn't touch any of it except the chia seeds. They go crazy over grit even though it's not really a treat! I'll put a bowl of grit in with them and they darn near trample each other to see who can get to it first, and sometimes I catch them dust bathing in it. It's hilarious! I think I'll try one of those chick sticks next.

Back
Top Bottom