What are your favorite treats

My flock free ranges all day. I cut up some raw squash and threw it out to them, but apparently they were more interested in other stuff.

I have tried dried crickets- they are not fans. They love their meal worms and cracked corn. They seem to be enjoying the peels from the home grown cucumbers that my aunt gifted me.

They get their treats usually at night when settling into the hen house.
Occasionally if I am sitting out just chilling with them.

They also have access to the flock raiser crumbles 24/7.

My girls only get treats in the morning when I leave for work, I bribe them to come back into their safe zone while I'm gone.

I alternate between a small handful of scratch, a handful of mealworms, and a small container of wet food with flax (warmed in the winter), or I'll scramble an egg (they have to share with the dog though). During heat waves I share my watermelon with them.
When there's snow on the ground I grow alfalfa sprouts for them.

Give the girls lettuce, cabbage, blueberries, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe. Give them frozen watermelon and frozen grapes when its hot and humid. Oatmeal with blueberries for a warm treat during the cold winter days. They also get scratch mix but only in the winter, dried and live mealworms which they love....:)

Mine love snak bags- I put frozen mango, papaya and/or banana, tomato and/or meat wrapped in lettuce in a mesh bag- make them work for it a bit. It can take 13 of them hours to empty two bags. Also less squabbles. They also LOVE centipedes and Gecko's. :p I do hunt and feed them those too.
IMG_20190702_082117325.jpg
IMG_20190702_082135178.jpg
IMG_20190519_104251432 (2).jpg
IMG_20190519_104412629 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Crickets.
Every time I mow or weedwack I go around moving stuff sitting around the yard. The chickens follow so close they scare me. The have no fear of the lawnmower or weedeater and sometimes think the flying grass clippings are flying bugs.
So i make sure to move everything that may interfere with the job and the birds go hog wild over all the crickets.
With the weather we have had, I have to mow and weedwack two or three times a week.
Great time for the flock.

what do you treat your girls with?
Oh, I give many different types of treats to my birds. I have an orchard, I give my birds bruised fruits that are neither fit for Market nor rotten that includes mango, guava, litchi and banana. I also give them some native fruits like black plum, cluster fig, monkey fruit, jackfruit etc. I also give them some veggies, cucumber, lentils, Milo, corn,cooked rice, pumpkin, yoghurt, wheat bran, sunflower seeds and leftovers.I grow non of them strictly for treats. Only thing that I grow strictly for treats is Black soldier fly larvae and they are my absolute favourite.

Last edited:
My flock has figured out their own snacks. I give them pretty much all the food scraps and a large comercial snack block.
But they really seem to prefer fresh
" pick your own" garden vegetables.
Especially tomatoes, squash and cantaloupe.

My gals enjoy freeze-dried worms every evening (mealworms are their favorite). Some of their favorite treats are peaches, especially the skins, cockroaches, and stale crackers. They also love the 'guts' and seeds from cantaloupes, and cold juicy watermelon rinds on a hot day. Plain old ice cubes are also a big hit in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom