What are your favorite treats

I have way too many birds so I mix some grains and seeds in a large metal trash can of sunflower seeds. cracked corn, oats, millet. The millet is their least favorite but they will eat it. I also grow greens for them. I don't free range anymore due to a loss during the middle of the day by a fox a few months ago but they have large pens 60' x around 20' each pen. I do have a grass catcher on the back of my lawn tractor so I do collect grass and put piles in their pens for them to scratch through. They jump on the grass piles and dig in as soon as I dump the catchers out. During the winter months I buy bales of alfalfa and they love to dig and scratch in it also and they eat the little green leaves until only the stems are left.

During the extreme heat, I will cut up a watermelon/cantalope and freeze the wedges and toss them a few to have a prolonged enjoyment of cold fruit. I also slice red (seedless) grapes in half. Lately, I gave them cubed Ham that I chopped up and they went nuts! When I have corn cobs, I slice them up into rounds. I cut up boiled eggs, given them rice krispie dry cereal, raw sunflower seeds, cracked bulgar wheat, left-over homemade whole grain bread, strawberries, blueberries, apricots (no pit), tomatoes, carrot top greens, lettuce but it just sat there, same with kale - just sat there. They love zucchini and yellow squash too! I have given both dried and live mealworms as well as grumblies - they love bugs!

They get mealworms pretty regularly. On weekends I boil a dozen eggs and chop them shells and all. They love that.
In hot weather, 90's & 100's I give them watermelon (their favorite treat), frozen blueberries, or fresh figs. They occasionally get cottage cheese and strawberries.
I give them my leftover tacos too. (Kidding, I've never had a leftover taco)

old spaghetti is by far their favorite, though they are like a pack of piranhas around the discarded sweet corn cobs
Definitely left over spaghetti noodles are a hit with my Chickens and my Ducks. I think it's the wiggles from the noodles that they like more..:gig
Corn on the cob too is a favourite treat!...:frow

Back
Top Bottom