What are your favorite wormers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FoxholeFarm, Sep 24, 2014.

1. FoxholeFarm

FoxholeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    Hey y'all, I need to worm my flock soon and I'm looking to get input on various wormer options. I'm interested I hearing what product or remedies you use and why. I have a medium flock of 18 birds so I can do them individually, but would rather treat the flock.

We worm the dogs with garlic, pumpkin seed, and Diatomaceous Earth. Do those work for chickens and does the garlic effect the egg taste?

Pros and cons of ivermectin and other medicines, please.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I use Valbazen (albendazole). They have to be dosed individually, but the time and effort is worth it to me. Valbazen gets just about every type of worm a chicken can get.

My vet has told me not to waste my time with ivermectin anymore. It's overuse as a wormer in chickens has created a resistance to it in parasites. Also, ivermectin should not be given during a molt, said to cause feather deformities. There is no such restriction with the Valbazen.

I try to go as natural as possible with my pets, including the chickens, but I take no chances with worms.

3. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    dawg53 has done lots of posts on worming; what to use and frequency. Check for some of his posts. He is very thorough, detailed and patient.

Maggie

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    And everything I learned about wormers I learned from Dawg.

5. FoxholeFarm

FoxholeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks both!! I will check out dawg's posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by