What are your five favorite breeds and why

1. Dorkings. These are the friendliest chickens I have ever raised, they lay pretty well, make excellent mothers, and just have a lot of character. A very old breed.

I am so stoked to see I'm not the only one who lists Dorkings! :celebrate You've very concisely described why they're so wonderful, too! :D

So, if it wasn't obvious, number 1 for me is, hands down, the Dorking! Sweet, friendly, quirky, entertaining birds. Docile and cuddly. Calm birds that are never bullies, perfect for backyard flocks and around kids. And they're beautiful, too! What's not to love? :love

Number 2, Cochins. I love my large fowl, but the bantams have really stolen my heart. They are so full of character and I just love watching them run around the yard with their big, poofy tails. :love

Number 3, though I've only ever owned one, is probably the Orpington. Mine is very friendly, cuddly, and docile. She tolerates even my niece and nephew holding her, she just loves people.

Number 4, probably Plymouth Rocks. I've only ever owned hatchery quality birds of this breed, but they're pretty solid birds anyway. Good layers, friendly, and easy to find. They're a bit bossy to other chickens, though.

Number 5, I haven't had them for very long, but probably Old English Game bantams. They are just the cutest little tiny birds!! :love

Wasn't impressed with my Crème Legbars personality, altho the eggs were to die for color!

My Cream Legbars lay beautiful eggs but they are kind of flighty and certainly not the friendliest birds I've had.

Everyone's making me jealous with their lap girls! I used to have a red sex link that would sit on my lap all day if you'd let her...miss that!

1. Silkie - what's better than an adorable rooster (see my avatar) who has the cutest crows? Besides, HE'S SO FLUFFY!
2. Ameraucana - Super cool, great egg layers, super cold hardy.
3. Cochin (bantam or standard) - Again, SUPER FLUFFY, calm, docile, and they look cool. My bantam loves me.
4. RIR - My two RIR's were the sweetest birds. Would follow me around and sit on my lap. Really miss them.
5. Appenzeller Spitzhauben - (never had these ones) I would love to try these guys. I love their funny mohawk.

Believe me, the list could go on... and on....

My Faverolles are dumb as a box of rocks! They are cute, but not quite right in the head, and they lay a small egg compared to their size.

Wasn't impressed with my Crème Legbars personality, altho the eggs were to die for color!

Dorkings is a breed Id like to try.
That's part of the faverolle appeal. :p

I am so stoked to see I'm not the only one who lists Dorkings! :celebrate You've very concisely described why they're so wonderful, too! :D

So, if it wasn't obvious, number 1 for me is, hands down, the Dorking! Sweet, friendly, quirky, entertaining birds. Docile and cuddly. Calm birds that are never bullies, perfect for backyard flocks and around kids. And they're beautiful, too! What's not to love? :love

Number 2, Cochins. I love my large fowl, but the bantams have really stolen my heart. They are so full of character and I just love watching them run around the yard with their big, poofy tails. :love

Number 3, though I've only ever owned one, is probably the Orpington. Mine is very friendly, cuddly, and docile. She tolerates even my niece and nephew holding her, she just loves people.

Number 4, probably Plymouth Rocks. I've only ever owned hatchery quality birds of this breed, but they're pretty solid birds anyway. Good layers, friendly, and easy to find. They're a bit bossy to other chickens, though.

Number 5, I haven't had them for very long, but probably Old English Game bantams. They are just the cutest little tiny birds!! :love
I love watching my bantam cochins run too. They put their heads down and run in those slipper feet in a shuffling hoppy way. :lol:

1. Silkie - what's better than an adorable rooster (see my avatar) who has the cutest crows? Besides, HE'S SO FLUFFY!
2. Ameraucana - Super cool, great egg layers, super cold hardy.
3. Cochin (bantam or standard) - Again, SUPER FLUFFY, calm, docile, and they look cool. My bantam loves me.
4. RIR - My two RIR's were the sweetest birds. Would follow me around and sit on my lap. Really miss them.
5. Appenzeller Spitzhauben - (never had these ones) I would love to try these guys. I love their funny mohawk.

Believe me, the list could go on... and on....
I know, everyone is making me want to change my list of favorites. There are too many great breeds to choose from. :th

Im not even sure I have 5 but
1.) Wyandottes love laced birds
2.)Ameraucanas because I like the muffs
3.) Easter eggers because They have muffs
4.) Speckled sussex because I like the speckledness
Yup cant think of any other breeds
D'uccle have muffs too, so do faverolle. :thumbsup

My Cream Legbars lay beautiful eggs but they are kind of flighty and certainly not the friendliest birds I've had.

Everyone's making me jealous with their lap girls! I used to have a red sex link that would sit on my lap all day if you'd let her...miss that!
What happened to your welsummer?

Lap chickens, :sick , they leave behind surprises. :lau

Back
Top Bottom