What are your frugal and sustainable tips and tricks?

Pics
Here's something that pisses me off, and my work around.

Pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner are MUCH easier for old arthritic hands to deal with than prying open a snap cap on lid. But the "straw" on the pump won't get all the product out of the bottle. Even worse, sometimes they cut the straw a bit short, knowing you will just pitch the bottle and the week -- or three -- worth of shampoo. :mad:

Nope, not me. Dang it! I paid for 38.2 ounces of Pantene, I want thirty-eight point two ounces!

So I do this. (Don't tell my husband.) If someone has a better way, let me know. When it makes the shhmmoook shhhmmmoook noise because the straw isn't sucking up shampoo, I add a little bit of water, say about a tablespoon. Swirl it around really well. It's good for a few days, maybe a week.

I do this twice, and then it's runny enough that hubby will probably notice. But do I throw it out? Nope! Now I take the top off and dump a blob into my palm. Then I set the bottle on the edge of the tub, on its side, which in our house means, "This bottle is too empty [for hubby] to bother with. Get out the new bottle."

I'll do the "dump a blob into my palm for a few days, leaving the bottle on its side, on the edge of the tub. Hubby has been around me long enough not to question this any more. Leave Sally to her weirdness.

But I am hardcore. I want at least 38 ounces of that shampoo. The .2 .... well, ok... I grudgingly will let that go. That's probably what is stuck in the straw anyway. So now the new bottle and the old bottle go into the kitchen. I add about 2-3 tablespoons of water to the old bottle and do my best to swish every bit of shampoo off the sides of the bottle. Then I dump that into the new bottle. I use the pumper straw to stir it around a bit. Then I put the bottle back together and put it on the shelf in the shower.

And because I am really hardcore, I put another 1/4 cup of water in the old bottle, shake it up, and then go take a shower and wash my hair with that.

Now, the bottle is clean for recycling, my hair is clean, and I feel very smug.
I used to add water to the shampoo bottle. I don't anymore only because I switched over to goat milk shampoo, the bar kind. It lasts a long time, too.

Yes, but not as much as bottled shampoo.

I buy from goatmilkstuff.com, and this is from their website:
Screenshot_20231028-214208-366.png

I get a couple months of use, at least, with a bar.

https://goatmilkstuff.com/products/shampoo-goat-milk-soap-tea-tree

Pump bottles of shampoo and conditioner are MUCH easier for old arthritic hands to deal with than prying open a snap cap on lid. But the "straw" on the pump won't get all the product out of the bottle. Even worse, sometimes they cut the straw a bit short, knowing you will just pitch the bottle and the week -- or three -- worth of shampoo. :mad:

Nope, not me. Dang it! I paid for 38.2 ounces of Pantene, I want thirty-eight point two ounces!

So I do this. (Don't tell my husband.) If someone has a better way, let me know. When it makes the shhmmoook shhhmmmoook noise because the straw isn't sucking up shampoo, I add a little bit of water, say about a tablespoon. Swirl it around really well. It's good for a few days, maybe a week.

I do this twice, and then it's runny enough that hubby will probably notice. But do I throw it out? Nope! Now I take the top off and dump a blob into my palm. Then I set the bottle on the edge of the tub, on its side, which in our house means, "This bottle is too empty [for hubby] to bother with. Get out the new bottle."

I'll do the "dump a blob into my palm for a few days, leaving the bottle on its side, on the edge of the tub. Hubby has been around me long enough not to question this any more. Leave Sally to her weirdness.

But I am hardcore. I want at least 38 ounces of that shampoo. The .2 .... well, ok... I grudgingly will let that go. That's probably what is stuck in the straw anyway. So now the new bottle and the old bottle go into the kitchen. I add about 2-3 tablespoons of water to the old bottle and do my best to swish every bit of shampoo off the sides of the bottle. Then I dump that into the new bottle. I use the pumper straw to stir it around a bit. Then I put the bottle back together and put it on the shelf in the shower.

And because I am really hardcore, I put another 1/4 cup of water in the old bottle, shake it up, and then go take a shower and wash my hair with that.

Dang, woman, you ARE hard core! You are Super Woman! All hail you! :highfive::woot

Oh...so....I'm not the only one! :lol:

I have long hair. I want all the shampoo and conditioner I paid for.
The length of that straw is a conspiracy, I tell you!

That almost empty bottle drives my DH insane! I put the new one out. I told him to use it. He doesn't mess with my almost empty one anymore. Just acts like he doesn't see it. It took him a while to do this. But he is good now. :gig

I just take the almost empty bottle out until there is enough space in the full one to upend the almost empty one over the almost full one and let it drain for the day. It usually needs to be propped so the kitchen is more convenient than the bathroom - there are more containers to use for propping.

Does anyone have a good method for using the slivers of bar soap that are too small for certain people (like dh) to bother with? For a while, he would "glue" them onto the new bar by pressing them while both were wet. That used to work pretty well, it would be a fragile bond for a few days, then be strong enough to hold well enough. Lately neither of us can get them to stick hardly at all.

I just take the almost empty bottle out until there is enough space in the full one to upend the almost empty one over the almost full one and let it drain for the day. It usually needs to be propped so the kitchen is more convenient than the bathroom - there are more containers to use for propping.

Does anyone have a good method for using the slivers of bar soap that are too small for certain people (like dh) to bother with? For a while, he would "glue" them onto the new bar by pressing them while both were wet. That used to work pretty well, it would be a fragile bond for a few days, then be strong enough to hold well enough. Lately neither of us can get them to stick hardly at all.
Use a soap holder for the bits.

soap-savers-all.jpg

About 5 years ago I switched to bar shampoo and I love it. It lasts longer than liquid (just like bar hand soaps) and works perfectly. Plus no plastic at all if you buy from a company like Lush. It’s more expensive, but the “plastic” and packing peanuts in the packaging are compostable veggie fiber.
There are also much cheaper bars out there.
It’s a hard thing to think about, but some of our recycled plastic is still thrown into the landfill/ocean.

The bars work sooo well! I think it actually saves money just like bar hand soaps do.

Put the slivers into a tiny mesh bag (mine have come from buying jewelry). Works great and helps the lather!

Bar shampoo... I've heard of it. What a great idea. Does it lather, like hand soap? I'm assuming you get your hair wet, rub the bar over your head, and massage it around, is that how it works?

First of all a warning: it can be an odd transition to make. But so worth it. Get the hair wet and rub bar from hairline down the hair lengthwise. I do one swipe from ear to ear down the back of my head. About 5 in total. It lathers like liquid.

I suggest buying two different bars the first time so that you can see what works for your hair type. Same with bar conditioner.

Back
Top Bottom