What are your opinions on free ranging?

What is your opinion on free ranging?

• Total voters
I don't free range because I like my garden.

I don't free range because we share the property with my sister-in-law who would be FURIOUS if my chickens ate her beloved flowers and dug the mulch out of her carefully-tended beds.

I would be very upset to have someone else's chickens wandering into my yard to damage my garden and my SIL's flowerbeds even "only" once a month.

Not to mention the possibility that they might bring disease to my flock or that a neighbor's rooster might fight my roosters or try to lure my hens into his flock. :(
My neighbors love our chickens too. I thought it was odd! We told them we planned to put a fence up between us and them to keep our chickens in our yard, and they urged us not to. They're an older couple and enjoy watching them. I asked several times because it made me uncomfortable, but they seriously insisted. I did tell them that if they ever changed their mind, we have the fencing and will put it up. 🤷‍♀️

We free range all day every day. We currently only have 6 hens on about 2 acres. They mostly stay in our yard and don't wander, which I found interesting. They'll occasionally go see the neighbors who live pretty close, but they only go to their compost pile which is close to our barn, and come right back. There's about 300 acres of woods behind us that they could explore, but they're seemingly uncomfortable going too far from home. We have a lot of outdoor structures that provide safety from hawks and eagles, and haven't had a predator problem.

Last edited:
If I weren't in suburbia, I would, but just like I don't want other peoples' dogs or cats digging and pooping on my property or interacting with my animals unsupervised, I imagine my neighbors wouldn't like my chickens digging around their plants, pooping in their yard, and/or visiting their flocks (disease).

On a few acres, I would be confident about chickens staying in my "yard," but on a standard lot (1/4 - 1/2 acre), I know they'll be visiting Marge's prize roses for some dust bathing and I'll have poorer neighbor relations for it even if I take Marge some eggs. Even with clipped wings, I found out through prior experience that several breeds can still clear a 6 ft. privacy fence with ease.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom