What are your opinions on free ranging?

What is your opinion on free ranging?

• Total voters
Pics
I wish there wasn’t the stigma that is attached to goat meat and milk.
I think that any such attitudes depend on where you live. Here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area there are enough people of Mexican, Middle Eastern, Jamaican or other national heritages for whom goat meat is common fare that there is little to no stigma attached to either, except among the usual sorts of childishly finicky "I've never had that so I won't like it" sorts. It's not common in the meat departments of the large grocery chains, but it is easily found at those that cater to the aforementioned populations, as well as Asian supermarkets (of which there are many). Ethnic restaurants as well. And goat milk is quite sought after, not only for direct consumption and/or as cheese products, but also in the form of soaps, which are quite trendy (and sell for ridiculous prices). The raising of goats is quite common in the outskirts of the Metroplex (the name given to this area as a whole).

I think that any such attitudes depend on where you live. Here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area there are enough people of Mexican, Middle Eastern, Jamaican or other national heritages for whom goat meat is common fare that there is little to no stigma attached to either, except among the usual sorts of childishly finicky "I've never had that so I won't like it" sorts. It's not common in the meat departments of the large grocery chains, but it is easily found at those that cater to the aforementioned populations, as well as Asian supermarkets (of which there are many). Ethnic restaurants as well. And goat milk is quite sought after, not only for direct consumption and/or as cheese products, but also in the form of soaps, which are quite trendy (and sell for ridiculous prices). The raising of goats is quite common in the outskirts of the Metroplex (the name given to this area as a whole).
Funny thing is that there are and have been a lot of goats raised here too, but eating goat meat has never been a thing here. I’m sure that some of the folks that raise them do. I think the ground meat is very good. The other cuts are like some cuts of beef, they are great if prepared correctly.

And goat milk is quite sought after, not only for direct consumption and/or as cheese products, but also in the form of soaps, which are quite trendy (and sell for ridiculous prices).

I've never understood the point of wasting milk in soap, myself.

I've never tasted goat milk but I love goat cheese.

I'd happily eat goat meat (I'm told it's much like venison), but it's either unavailable or $$$.

I've never understood the point of wasting milk in soap, myself.
Ditto.
I've never tasted goat milk but I love goat cheese.

I'd happily eat goat meat (I'm told it's much like venison), but it's either unavailable or $$$.
I wouldn't say it's like venison at all. It's more like a richer lamb.

I'm raising mini meat goats - which is to say that my dame keeps throwing males, which I wether and take at an early age - the sire outweighed me by a little, I'm about 160#. and they are mutts. As @1cock2hens said, price is up. With a wormer and the CDT, we can get $120 +/- for the latest boy around 8 weeks, depending on whether the buyer wants him intact or not.
I’ve avoided goats primarily because what graze I have is between blueberry rows. I have about 15 acres of blueberries I would be concerned that goats would eat my blueberry bushes down to the trunks. The mini cows don’t do any real damage to the blueberries and will in fact clean up the rows some of weeds and vines.

I’ve had the mini cows since fall of last year and so far so good. The mini zebu are especially rugged.

Ditto.

I wouldn't say it's like venison at all. It's more like a richer lamb.

I agree I don’t think goat is like venison. Sometimes goat reminds me of beef, and sometimes its very much its own thing. I’ve never had it home prepared. I’ve always had mine in Indian food in a hot curry. I have had home cooked lamb chops. Lamb is hit and miss with me. Sometimes it will have fat and the fat can be funky.

I’ve avoided goats primarily because what graze I have is between blueberry rows. I have about 15 acres of blueberries I would be concerned that goats would eat my blueberry bushes down to the trunks. The mini cows don’t do any real damage to the blueberries and will in fact clean up the rows some of weeds and vines.

I’ve had the mini cows since fall of last year and so far so good. The mini zebu are especially rugged.
I might look into getting some mini cows. I'd like them for milk, tbh. We don't eat meat at our house, but my hubby is not a fan of goat milk. And I really don't want to deal with bucks - lol! The thought of my little does getting mated is unsettling. I am such a pansy sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom