What are your opinions on free ranging?

What is your opinion on free ranging?

• Total voters
Pics
We live in the countryside, and have a multitude of ground predators, including fox, coyote, bobcats, raccoon, and Skunk. Most of our losses have been from hawks. We have sharp shin, red wing, & cooper. We have a lot of bald eagles too.
I do let mine free range at certain times of the year. They have daytime access to large fenced chicken yards, and 24/7 access to secure, covered runs.
Some of mine are pets, some are layers, and all are entertainment. I hate losing any of them, so I only let them range when I'm home. I usually lock them up for a week or so, if we have a bobcat or fox roaming around. I can't imagine not having a secure run.

Normally they have a large area to run around and at times I open up so they can have free run. Now with avian flue they have a smaller covered outdoor run and a large enclosed run, but they are frustrated because they can see the green grass where they normally forage Been growing sprouts and collard greens for our salads ,so they get part of that each day.

Hello everyone! I was wondering what everyone’s opinions on free ranging nowadays are? There was a time where there was no other way of raising chickens, but I know that has changed. Especially during the midst of avian influenza. So what are your opinions?

Personally, I am all for free ranging, and can’t imagine raising a flock any other way. I believe my flock would pick a short happy life of freedom, versus a long life of enclosure. But this is just my personal opinion! So I was curious of what you guys thought!

Thanks for everyone that takes my poll!
I only let my birds free range the last couple hours of the evening, only if I am out there to watch over them. My neighbors and I have lost to many to foxes and coyotes!!! I have my shotgun ready!!

My 6 were free ranging most of the day when we were home. It’s a suburban garden, and the garden fence is 4ft, but despite having one who can easily fly over 8 ft up they have never even considered flying out or onto the fence, they just seem to accept the garden as their territory. At the moment they are confined in their run (around 400-500 square ft) and they aren’t too happy - they have roosting branches, pallets, a playhouse, trees, compost pile, dirt, hanging veggies, shrubs…. but they just want to wander round the garden! I can’t wait until the lawn has grown back enough after reseeding to let them out again. They’ve even dropped in egg production. The garden destruction is an issue, however, but I’m working on ways to keep everyone happy. We are quite fortunate as far as predators are concerned, but we did lose a 5 week old chick to a cat when they were out with the flock for a few minutes - I will never have babies out again, it was a hard lesson. If I had more predators though I’d be too worried - these are pets and we’d be crushed to lose any, though their happiness is a top priority!

Hello everyone! I was wondering what everyone’s opinions on free ranging nowadays are? There was a time where there was no other way of raising chickens, but I know that has changed. Especially during the midst of avian influenza. So what are your opinions?

Personally, I am all for free ranging, and can’t imagine raising a flock any other way. I believe my flock would pick a short happy life of freedom, versus a long life of enclosure. But this is just my personal opinion! So I was curious of what you guys thought!

We free-range in rotation between our 3 coops. All birds receive around 2-3 hours outside the coop. We do have hawks but the automatic owl we bought on Amazon, seems to keep them away.

Kia Ora from Aotearoa New Zealand! Luckily we have few predators so my girls are able to safely free range in our fully fenced back yard. Our cat and dog deal with the occasional rat or interested other cat.

Always free-range. It's unfair to them to lock them up. I see this alot. A neighbor keeps birds locked up in a very very small Coop. They are sad when this happens. My birds would run in the woods and in the garden. Always fun. And when we sit on porch they come and sit with us. Sometimes in our laps

I have always free ranged my flock! They absolutely love it, they hate being locked up and I can’t imagine raising chickens either way. There are some predators here and there but it’s just something you have to deal with when it comes to free range chickens!

Back
Top Bottom