What are your opinions on free ranging?

What is your opinion on free ranging?

• Total voters
Another clarification that might be worth noting. there is "free" range where they are confined to a large yard, but have barriers stopping them from entering other properties, then there is true free range where they go anywhere and everywhere. Hopefully they know their way back.
Mine are not fenced,but have enough property and pasture land around to not go on roads or peoples yards

Fact, I'm not the one twisting words.

There is legal recourse for trespass, even where no "harm" is done. Even in MO.

3KB's message (which you linked in your comment) did not use the words death, kill, or trespass.

If you want to go beat strawmen to [....], knock yourself out. "Uncle Vinnie" and some guy that slept at a Holiday Inn last night are seemingly both better lawyers. Florida Bullfrog DEFINITELY is.

I do agree it would be wise to research the laws applicable to your personal property and circumstances. You can find Missouri's State statutes (with helpful commentary) here.
They said that landowners could take whatever means available as a blanket statement and I pointed out that that isn't true. I don't see why you are taking it so personally 🤷 acting like it's an issue and trying to disprove me. I'm correct and you gain nothing from it

You are spreading misinformation, laws are different state by state. In missouri you can not legally kill someone else's livestock for wondering over to your property, there has to be real damage or loss not just a perceived threat. I had a neighbor threaten my goats and call the cops on me for "damages"( literally just goat poop in there outdoor kitchen area), they told her to build a better fence if she doesn't want animals wondering onto her property and told me if she gives me any trouble to call them and they would deal with her.

You can't legally just shoot animals on your property because you feel there could potentially be issues there has to be an issue first.

Costing a person his NPIP certification IS a harm.

*eyeroll*

Laws may twist and turn and may even legalize the unjustifiable, but it remains the moral responsibility of every animal owner to keep his animals on his own property.

Costing a person his NPIP certification IS a harm.

*eyeroll*

Laws may twist and turn and may even legalize the unjustifiable, but it remains the moral responsibility of every animal owner to keep his animals on his own property.
A stray won't risk anyone's certification, especially one that just happens to cross for a minute and has no contact with any of your animals.. talk about blowing things out of proportion. Loosing certification isnt physical harm to the animals or property and would not be permitted in some states. Some states are fence in and some are fence out. I was simply saying that the blanket statement about doing whatever you can do including extermination of a stray is not a legal option in every state, especially in the western range states that have very straightforward fence out rules and if an animal gets onto your property it's your own fault and if it gets hurt on your property it's your fault. Missouri has some of the most complicated fence laws in the country and can be interpreted in wildly different ways. We are fence in for some
animals and fence out for others. In missouri you have to have it in writing(newspaper ad etc) that you have warned the owner you can't just kill an animal because you feel like it.

Last edited:
A stray won't risk anyone's certification, talk about blowing things out of proportion. Loosing certification isnt physical harm to the animals or property and would not be permitted in some states. Some states are fence in and some are fence out. I was simply saying that the blanket statement about doing whatever you can do including extermination of a stray is not a legal option in every state, especially in the western range states that have very straightforward fence out rules and if an animal gets onto your property it's your own fault and if it gets hurt on your property it's your fault. Missouri has some of the most complicated fence laws in the country and can be interpreted in wildly different ways. We are fence in for some
animals and fence out for others. In missouri you have to have it in writing(newspaper ad etc) that you have warned the owner you can't just kill an animal because you feel like it.
A stray bird could certainly cost someone their NPIP certification.

A stray bird could certainly cost someone their NPIP certification.
How so?( I'm against government regulations of farm practices so i honestly haven't ever look into it)And that's besides the point. My point is not every person has the same legal options as others do and can in fact find themselves on the wrong side of the law for exercising rights that they thought they had but were unfortunately wrong about

My chickens have always free-ranged. First in my un-fenced yard in the woods, where they would go wherever pleased them. Then we moved to a slightly more town-y place. They free ranged in the backyard, and were fenced in. Chicken poop on the porch was not uncommon. Then in June of last year, we moved back to the place where we had originally had chickens and they all ran away into the woods in the morning , and were not seen until night when they wandered back to their coop.

How so?( I'm against government regulations of farm practices so i honestly haven't ever look into it)And that's besides the point. My point is not every person has the same legal options as others do and can in fact find themselves on the wrong side of the law for exercising rights that they thought they had but were unfortunately wrong about
That bird breaks the quarantine of the certified flock. They would have to be retested and recertified. And that's if they don't end up getting a disease from the stray that requires them to be destroyed

Oic, Exactly why government shouldn't be involved lol imo. It's very alien to me to be so fearful of things that are so extremely rare.
That bird breaks the quarantine of the certified flock. They would have to be retested and recertified. And that's if they don't end up getting a disease from the stray that requires them to be destroyed

Back
Top Bottom