What are your percentages of hatch with incubators?

Super cheap Little Giant incubator, still air, no turners, styrofoam, $49 from TSC, holds around 40+ eggs. Got about 60+% hatch rate. Then bought fan kit for it and got a better hatch rate -closer to 90%. Eggs were from my flock.

Built my own once with a $5 styrofoam cooler, light bulb for heat, no turner, still air, quail eggs. Got about 60+% hatch rate. Eggs were purchased but not shipped.

Built my own. I get great hatches every time.
DSC00042.JPG

I use a Borotto Lumia 16 with his humidifier, I had only two small hatches so I don't think these results will last for every hatch.
1) 6 quail eggs, 4 fertile but one quitted at day 4 or 5 (were 2 week old supermarket eggs) and all the other 3 hatched
2) 10 marans and marans x brown sexlink, 8 fertile and all 8 hatched
This year I'm aiming to have another three hatches of three different breeds with some quails if I have space in the incubator, I hope🤞

Over the years my hatch rates have been from 0 to 100% and everything between. The 0%ers had been way more common than the 100%ers.
That's with two LGs, one huge DIY combination incubator/hatcher in a two compartment cabinet and 3 older generation 1202s and 1250s Sportsman cabinets (two incubators and one hatcher).
A couple batches of shipped eggs (very poor hatches).
One batch was from a Slo Food project of Delaware eggs I hatched for a friend who didn't have enough incubator space for all his eggs.
One batch of Canada Goose eggs that was 100%.
That hatch caused me to rehabilitate my cabinet. The goslings shed so much down that I had to redo the bank of fans that were clogged with down and dust. I decided to go with higher air flow fans with filters.
All the rest of the thousand+ eggs were from my birds. They are from a very small gene pool so I'm not surprised that I don't have better hatch rates. A high hatch rate, while desirable, isn't the most important thing to me. Sometimes I'll set eggs that are past their prime just because proper timing wasn't always possible. If it was an egg from a pairing I wanted, I would set it even if the eggs' chances were slim. Add to that, I almost never assist hatches. Here, they hatch or they don't. Assisted hatches are an absolute waste of time. If they don't pop right out, I don't want to perpetuate those genetics.

Last edited:
Super cheap Little Giant incubator, still air, no turners, styrofoam, $49 from TSC, holds around 40+ eggs. Got about 60+% hatch rate. Then bought fan kit for it and got a better hatch rate -closer to 90%. Eggs were from my flock.

I got the same incubator. My first hatch was less than 20% (for a variety of reasons). Rigged the incubator with some game console cooling fans and got a 100% rate from fertile eggs. I wrote an article to document the process.

Little Giant Still Air Incubator Hack

Back
Top Bottom