What are your poop boards made of?

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
We're working on the coop finally, and the only thing I'm a little iffy on is the poo boards. Our roost is going to be one 8 foot long pole down the length of the coop, and there will be a 24" wide poo board underneath. My only problem is figuring out what to make it out of. It needs to be light, easy to clean/scrape/spray, and sturdy enough to hold any curious chickens walking on it. Any ideas? what do you make yours out of?!

I made mine out of plywood, I have two 2 x 4 sections, makes it easier to manage. Put a small layer of pine shavings on the board for the droppings to drop into, this way the poop wont stick to the board and it makes it real easy to clean. I use one of those concrete plastic mixing tubs to dump the entire mess in to.

I use a plastic boot tray. It's easy to dump the contents into our composter then hose off the tray.

mine is just a piece of leftover mdf covered in about 3 coats of paint. i use a big scraper every couple days and it comes nice and clean. poop gets scraped into a 5 gal bucket and that goes right into the compost heap. works like a charm.
wink.png

Mine's only half a poo board. But it allows in my somewhat cramped coop to put the food and water under the roosts. It is made out of 2x4s, 2 metal L brackets and a left over piece of t-111 (the outside barn board stuff) that we used on the outside of the coop. I wouldn't recommend you using t-111 as it has ridges and the poo gets gunked in there. But the style works pretty well and it supports many chickens.

46869_feed_water_station.jpg

I use that cheap shelving stuff, it has a thin plasticky layer on the outside (white is cheapest, but one of mine is fancier wood-look b/c it was scrounged) but is fundamentally OSB. Widest size you can get. It will sag in time if not supported from underneath, but my nestboxes are underneath propping it up
tongue.png
, and if yours weren't, a piece of lumber on edge as reinforcement under there would be a trivial and successful fix.

You can see mine in the (oldish) pic of my sussex pen on my personal page (link at left under username)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Mine is from leftover OSB that happened to be the right size. I glued left over vinyl flooring on one side, then put a generous bit of shavings on top. I have it run the length of the roost on some roughly fashioned brackets, and screwed on a piece of 1x3 for a handle.

Since it was against the wall, I have a nail that the middle rests on for support.

We have an old counter top that a neighbor was tossing out- perfect fit and made to last. Easy to scrape with a bit of hay on top so it doesn't all stick.

Quote:
We did the very same, found a great deal @ our local Habitat Re-Store 8ft section of countertop that is laminate, very, very easy to clean and scrape and cheap too, if you have a restore around check to see if they have one.

Same here with a used Kitchen counter top. My neighbor was more than happy to get it out of his garage and is tickled that he was able to help to donate to the coop.

53318_img_2504.jpg

Back
Top Bottom