What are your Spring 2021 hatching plans?

Pics
Have 10 eggs in the incubator already (was 12, two proved infertile and were removed early on). Now two weeks and a day into the process. Its this guy, of unknown heritage, over Hatchery "Rainbows" (Hoover), Comets, and Dark Brahma. None over the CornishX this go - those were the infertile ones. Hopefully something useful comes out of the mixes, will cull in spring, and then again in summer.

When the pekin ducks start laying again, I'll do at least two rounds of them as well.

/edit and at some point, I'll build another house or two for them. The current design is sized for 20-25 full sized chickens, and about a dozen ducks underneath. I'm at those numbers currently.

1606949520551.png

I want to buy some fertile bantam eggs in spring for one or two of my Dutch who like to breed and mother every spring. And for me too of course ;) .

Depending on what I can buy I wil get 8 - 10 eggs of this shortlist:
Vorwerk bantam
Auracana bantam with tail
RIR bantam
Amrock bantam
New Hampshire bantam
Bielefelder bantam

Im searching for a small and friendly bantam breed that doesn’t stop laying completely in winter. Preferably brown or coloured eggs. And does not sleep in a nestbox after growing ip. Recommendations are welcome 🐣

Have 10 eggs in the incubator already (was 12, two proved infertile and were removed early on). Now two weeks and a day into the process. Its this guy, of unknown heritage, over Hatchery "Rainbows" (Hoover), Comets, and Dark Brahma. None over the CornishX this go - those were the infertile ones. Hopefully something useful comes out of the mixes, will cull in spring, and then again in summer.

When the pekin ducks start laying again, I'll do at least two rounds of them as well.

/edit and at some point, I'll build another house or two for them. The current design is sized for 20-25 full sized chickens, and about a dozen ducks underneath. I'm at those numbers currently.

View attachment 2434658
I wish I had some in the incubator!

I want to buy some fertile bantam eggs in spring for one or two of my Dutch who like to breed and mother every spring. And for me too of course ;) .

Depending on what I can buy I wil get 8 - 10 eggs of this shortlist:
Vorwerk bantam
Auracana bantam with tail
RIR bantam
Amrock bantam
New Hampshire bantam
Bielefelder bantam

Im searching for a small and friendly bantam breed that doesn’t stop laying completely in winter. Preferably brown or coloured eggs. And does not sleep in a nestbox after growing ip. Recommendations are welcome 🐣
There are so many chicken breeds I never knew about!

I’m really hoping to get a silver double-laced Barnevelder hen, and it seems the most likely way would be to hatch. And maybe some fun other breeds like trying Pavlovskya again.

Ive also seen the Aloha around the ‘net - very pretty! Hope the project goes well, cuz I’d be interested for sure!

I’m really hoping to get a silver double-laced Barnevelder hen, and it seems the most likely way would be to hatch. And maybe some fun other breeds like trying Pavlovskya again.

Ive also seen the Aloha around the ‘net - very pretty! Hope the project goes well, cuz I’d be interested for sure!
Are the Barnevelders good layers?

Yes, Barnevelders are good layers @ChloeSilkie08 . This breed was developed in a village quit near to where I live. Called Barneveld. Barneveld is famous for its chickens and chicken farms. They even have statues with colourful chickens and eggs all over town.

Nowadays the chicken farms use hybrids for egg production. The Barnevelders are one of the favourites for hobbyist and breeders who like a beautiful and easy chicken that lays wel.

Yes, Barnevelders are good layers @ChloeSilkie08 . This breed was developed in a village quit near to where I live. Called Barneveld. Barneveld is famous for its chickens and chicken farms. They even have statues with colourful chickens and eggs all over town.

Nowadays the chicken farms use hybrids for egg production. The Barnevelders are one of the favourites for hobbyist and breeders who like a beautiful and easy chicken that lays wel.
That's so cool! It's so crazy how each different breed has its own story behind it.

Back
Top Bottom