What are your spring breeding plans?

KinderKorner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Southern Illinois
I am curious to know what everyone is breeding in the spring, and I know everyone including me loves to talk about future plans.

I am going to be breeding a SQ flock of Light Brahmas.

Improving my flock of BLRW.

Will be popping out a zillion silkies babies and will be improving and selling lots of Blues, Splashes, Whites, and Porcelians.Whoot! Got like 20-30 growing babies now that will be sorted and choosen and the extras will be sold. So if anyone is looking for some really nice white, blue, or splash young adults let me know!

Also got a few brahma projects going, and I hope to announce three new colors next year.
smile.png

So what are you doing?

I plan on hatching out lots of silkies in white, bbs and buff. The buffs I will start setting the eggs within 2 weeks. The bbs are still young, so I probably wont get to hatch those till March or April.
big_smile.png
This way the extra birds will be old enough to bring to a sale in May.
big_smile.png

I also plan on hatching some Light Brahma roo X Brown Leghorn chicks, apparently they will be sex linked, and I want to get some more egglayers.

Last edited:
Well I don't think I can wait much longer so I plan on setting so they will hatch on my birthday, Feb. 15. So I believe I have to set on Jan. 25. I want some more sizzles and I want to get some silkies. I am hoping to find a great deal on eggs here!

As far as breeding my own chickens, my sizzles should be laying this spring and I think I have 1 roo, 2 hens, so I will be breeding those.

Last edited:
I am going to attempt to get my Orloffs going...I got two people nearby that are already interested in some eggs or chicks
smile.png

I am also going to breed my Phoenixes and hopefully get some eggs and chicks of my own and sell off the extras...I want some more girls.

And I'm not really sure from there..I know I want to find myself a Houdan roo for for girl. Her boyfriend passed away in the Fall.
sad.png

My plans consist of the following:

Buff Ameraucanas

I have a buff pullet and buff cockerel, and will be pairing those as well as some wheaten pullets to the cockerel and work on improving the buff color of Ameraucanas as well as their beard/muffs and egg color. Plus I'd love to see more than just two buffs on my property.
smile.png

Tolbunt Polish

With only two cockerels, one smooth and one frizzle, both having different pros and cons, I'll be separating them with different gold laced, silver laced, and other colored polish to improve color, fertility, and body type. Plus I want to support the population and see a bunch of "calico" Polish on my farm.

Wheaten Shamos

I currently have a Wheaten pullet and barred Wheaten cockerel, but I really LOVE this breed and want to work on the accepted color, the Wheaten. They're running around free range right now and I'm collecting eggs as time goes on, but I really plan to get some pullets from other well known, good breeders to expand the flock's genetic diversity and work more on the fierce eyes.

I'll also be continuing my normal breedings of Blue Wheaten Marans, BBS Ameraucanas, Gold Duckwing Araucanas, and Barred Araucanas.

I've kept about 45 Pyncheon breeders to use this Spring...mostly Mille Fleur, Porcelain, a few Blue Mille Fleur, Golden Necks, Citron Mille Fleur, Silver Mille Fleur, Blacks, and maybe Whites, I also received a SQ pair of Bd. Blue Silkies that I'm going to breed this year as well. And I should have about 40 Scottish Blackface lambs being born starting in late February. I would like to hatch about 125-150 Pyncheons this year. I also will be planting over 2,000 Dahlias...about 150 varieties. Think Spring everyone!!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Well my spring plans are:

Get started breeding my Wheaten Ameraucana Bantams

Get a new Blue Bantam Ameraucana rooster to breed more BBS Bantam Ameraucanas

Start breeding my LF Wheaten Ameraucanas

Get more BBS Large Fowl Ameraucanas

Aquire Lavender, Buff and maybe White bantam Ameraucanas

I'm getting BBS Bantam Orps

Start breeding my Butterscotch Call Ducks and maybe get some Chocolates

Oh and maybe start breeding rabbits

Will see how much I really get done. Lol

Good plans everyone! Feel free to post pictures! I love looking at birdies.

24555_big.jpg

Brahma rooster Reggie with Bantam rooster. Both full grown.

24555_big2.jpg

White silkie growing pullet.

24555_big3.jpg

2 month younger silkie cockeral. Don't mind the globbler full of food. He is really starting to feather out these last few weeks.

24555_big4.jpg

Mille fleur cochin pullet

24555_big5.jpg

Porcelain Silkie Cockeral face.

24555_big6.jpg

BLRW cockeral

24555_big7.jpg

BLRW cockeral

24555_big8.jpg

Mille Fleur Cochin cockeral

24555_big9.jpg

MFC Cockeral

24555_big10.jpg

MFC Cockeral

My chicken breeding plans include some large fowl Dominiques, bantam White Laced Red Cornish, and Pearl Old English Game bantams -

(all these are chicks I got in the fall to have for breeders this coming season...unfortunately I didn't have very good luck with several of them, so I only have a pair of the OEGs, hopefully they hang in there and do alright for me now, and I had some Grey Japanese and only have one little pullet from the bunch, so unless I happen to find some more of those, she'll just be part of my mixed layer flock, and also had Black Langshans but think I have just ended up with a couple roos)

I might also separate my Cuckoo Marans I have and hatch some of them, and/or possibly my Silkies as well. Might put my Partridge Cochin rooster and Blue Splash Cochin hen together if I feel frisky...lol... Or might try to make some Olive Eggers with the Marans roo and some EE hens....

As well as ducks, geese, turkeys, guineas.....and everything else I've got.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom