What are your spring breeding plans?

Going to do lots of work on my FBCMs and WMs, I have a few lines to work with,but not enough. I think my BCMs are y #1 project this year.

Will be breeding, Black, Blue and Lavender AMs

I have a pretty good trio of Favs that should be laying in a couple of months, so going to work on some nice ones.

I had planned on adding more from my Penes, but lost my pullet today.

Had also planned on working with my bantam Wellies, but lost my roo today

My MFDU hens and my GNDU hens literally flew the coop and into the yard with the chicken eating Beagles. So I have 4 lonely roos

I'm breeding my white and black silkies to hopefully get some broodies out of them.

I have white Polish pullets and WCBP roos and BLP roos, but don't have the right colors to pair up yet. Working on that.

I'm also going to be raising quail. Basically meat birds. I had bought 10 and something got to them. Think the neighbors abandoned cat!

Anything else????? hmmmm probably, but not sure what yet. Although I hope to have some Icelandics by spring.

Oh and I have some project birds, My little roos are just starting to crow. Pathetic, but cute.

OOPS! Forgot my Games. I'm looking for a Cuba roo to see what I can develop out of them.

Last edited:
I'll be starting a flock of Barnevelders. This is a new breed for me, so I won't be trying for new colors or anything. Just hatching as many as I can, so I'll have plenty to choose from for next years' breeders. I'm excited, I haven't done any serious breeding for a few years and I'm really looking forward to working with this breed.
big_smile.png

Well lets see I'm improving on the Cuckoo silkies I've got some great ones growing out now.
38899_100_1095.jpg

I'm getting some black orp chicks to cross to my lav orps to improve size and type
38899_100_1043.jpg

I got a new buff laced polish roo from Laura Beardsly to put with DDs hen
38899_100_1009.jpg

and then there is the Mad Scientist pen I'm gonna see what happens when I cross this
38899_100_1104.jpg

with this
38899_100_1771.jpg

MUUHHHAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plan on having these breedings for this spring:

A pen of black silkies
A pen of black, blue, and splash silkies over blue and black roos
A pen of partridge silkies

Trying to get my numbers up of these breeds:
LF salmon faverolles, only have a pair as of now
LF blue, black, splash ameraucanas, only have a quad
LF buff orpingtons, only have a trio

Wish me luck!

not planning on raising much this year at all, but some things I've got to pair up just cause of the rarity or having low numbers on the farm.

1. partridge cubalaya bantam x b.b. red cubalaya bantam
2. b.b. red cubalaya bantam x b.b. red cubalaya bantam
3. spangle cubalaya bantam x spangle cubalaya bantam
4. black mcrae american game x black mcrae american game
5. spangled morgan whitehackle american game x spangled morgan whitehackle american game
6. 3/4 spangled morgan 1/4 gull american game x spangled morgan whitehackle american game
7. 1/2 spangled morgan 1/2 gull american game x 5/8 spangled morgan 3/8 gull american game
8. w.c. cuckoo polish x w.c. cukoo polish
9. w.c. black polish x w.c. cuckoo polish
10. columbian bantam polish x black tail red bantam polish
11. silver phoenix x silver phoenix (trio - will be trap nested)

going to try and hen hatch as much as possible this year. I'm away from the farm so the family is handling this for me and I don't want them to get overwhelmed. I know to some folks this looks like a long list, but last year I ran something like 9 pairs of american games, 14 pairs of large polish, 14 pairs of bantam polish, 1 pair of phoenix, 2 pair of bantam cubalayas

I am trying to figure out when to start my breeding pens, right now my chickens are not laying. I have a few hens who have been brooding for the past 2 or 3 years, but these hens have not hatched any of their own eggs. My plan is to separate the hens I want hatchlings from and keep them separated until breeding season is over. Then I plan to dispatch all the roosters that I have now.
Just need to know when to separated into my breeding pens.
Thank you.

So far only two projects are for sure:

Get some "purely poultry broil silkies" and see how they grow out and cross them with my Black Swedish hens (oh the horror!) for stable meat birds for the local Asian market

Try to stabilize our isbar flock and pray it goes better then it did this year. :he

Back
Top Bottom