What are your state's "hot issues?"

Personally, I don't have a problem with an equality based plural marriage either. I just don't think there are many societies that have managed multiple marriages without there being some underlying hierarchical structure. Marriage should be about equality, not about dominion. I actually think that in modern America, plural marriages or communal living makes sense. There are very few families that can manage economically with only one person adult working. Homes are bigger than any time in history, and children under more supervision. It makes sense to me that two or more wage earners could have a stay at home parent to raise the children. I do think that complicating the family can cause lots of issues, because people can make such bad choices for themselves, and make others so miserable. I'm also very grateful that my ancestors, from a culture of plural marriage, did not have a plural marriage.

Here in Texas, state school board races are often the most nasty. Texas sets curriculum and approves textbooks at a state level. That means that any company wishing to sell textbooks in the most populous state must comply with the Texas State School Board. This makes curriculum and textbook fights dirty, ideology based, and sometimes down right strange.

This time around, nothing much interesting is going on. The most interesting thing is that the Tea Party pick won the republican senate nomination, therefore actually giving an opening for a democratic challenge for the first time in years.

Nonsense, absolute clattering nonsense!! Any civil union would be between consenting adults. How does this allow anything not human? Consenting adults...children aren't adults so they are exempted, animals can't consent so they are exempted, inanimate objects are neither adult or able to consent. The part civil refers to a legal definition, like civil rights or civic responsibility. There simply are not indications that a child, animal or inanimate object can enter into a legal agreement. How does this lead to anything non-human being able to engage in a civil union?

It doesn't matter how much you love bacon, you are never going to be able to marry it.

gotta agree with moms'folly. I have seen so many offensive comparisons in the marriage debate. So many fallacies. We've seen billions of people born into billions of different ways... Until they hurt somebody we should just accept them as another member of our 7 billion member clan.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't have a problem with an equality based plural marriage either. I just don't think there are many societies that have managed multiple marriages without there being some underlying hierarchical structure. Marriage should be about equality, not about dominion. I actually think that in modern America, plural marriages or communal living makes sense. There are very few families that can manage economically with only one person adult working. Homes are bigger than any time in history, and children under more supervision. It makes sense to me that two or more wage earners could have a stay at home parent to raise the children. I do think that complicating the family can cause lots of issues, because people can make such bad choices for themselves, and make others so miserable. I'm also very grateful that my ancestors, from a culture of plural marriage, did not have a plural marriage.

Here in Texas, state school board races are often the most nasty. Texas sets curriculum and approves textbooks at a state level. That means that any company wishing to sell textbooks in the most populous state must comply with the Texas State School Board. This makes curriculum and textbook fights dirty, ideology based, and sometimes down right strange.

This time around, nothing much interesting is going on. The most interesting thing is that the Tea Party pick won the republican senate nomination, therefore actually giving an opening for a democratic challenge for the first time in years.
Just one thing, California is still the most populous state. Yaall be in second place.

pop.gif

Interesting about the Texas school board. Funny how you can take any individual or group of individuals, put them into a position of "power," and open the door to the use or abuse of power in ways that were neither intended nor forseen. I actually had to sell my house and move some years back when I had a conflict with our county school board.

Nonsense, absolute clattering nonsense!! Any civil union would be between consenting adults. How does this allow anything not human? Consenting adults...children aren't adults so they are exempted, animals can't consent so they are exempted, inanimate objects are neither adult or able to consent. The part civil refers to a legal definition, like civil rights or civic responsibility. There simply are not indications that a child, animal or inanimate object can enter into a legal agreement. How does this lead to anything non-human being able to engage in a civil union?

It doesn't matter how much you love bacon, you are never going to be able to marry it.

I guess they meant they wanted to marry a corporation and under IRS and certain federal laws is a person. I don't want to think about where the conversation could go form there.

Google the Texas School Board and you'll see just how crazy this stuff gets. Last time around Jefferson got ousted from the history books because he wasn't influential enough, but John Calvin and Thomas Aquinas got added. The words "democratic republic" were replaced by the words "constitutional republic". It goes on and on, mostly along party lines. But the textbook stuff comes up about every two years. Historians, scientists and teachers don't choose curriculum, politicians do. In doing so they not only influence education in Texas but elsewhere in the country through the textbook selection process.

Fortunately, last time around, we seem to eliminated some of the outright lies that got in. But if you care about public education the US, you really should look at the Texas School Board.

Okay then, I want to engage in a civil union with Monsanto, so I can kick its butt. I wonder if two companies could get around anti-monopoly laws by saying they were in love and were getting married. Can you imagine the divorce court file for Apple and Samsung?
lau.gif

OldRooster, thank you for the amusing departure into speculation. Anything that can make me laugh before the coffee is done is good.

Last edited:
Interesting about the Texas school board. Funny how you can take any individual or group of individuals, put them into a position of "power," and open the door to the use or abuse of power in ways that were neither intended nor forseen. I actually had to sell my house and move some years back when I had a conflict with our county school board.

I actually wish my parents had moved when I was in school they redistricted and closed several schools (had to buy new land and in essence rebuild buildings what they sold off in a few short years) but the elementary school I was redistricted to acted if you where from a rural area or lower middle to low income households you where worthless trash. Then when I hit high school I went to one of 2 high schools in the town and the newspaper and the community treated the school like a red headed step child if you are failure with the term, the school had fewer and lesser quality athletic and musical equipment and fields and such. It also held the only middle school that fed into it, and was originally built for fewer students.

Back
Top Bottom