What are your thoughts on this?

audrey02026

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Dedham, Ma
I have been incubating chicks this entire month. I was planning on putting the chicks in my spare coop until the coop being built for them has been finished so I do not have to keep them in the house. Well I had two of my older hens go broody so I put them in that coop to hatch some chicks. Now I have 6 LF chicks with 2 moms...both bantam's. I'm thinking that I should keep the incubated chicks in the brooder in the house until I get the bigger coop but my DH wants to put them in with the broodies and their chicks. Could I do this if I put a heat lamp in there for them or would the moms attack them? All the chicks including the broodies chicks are between 2 days and 2 weeks old. I have the 2 day olds with 2 weeks olds now with no issues they all get along just fine. The coop isn't too big but they would have plenty of room and would only be in there maybe two weeks before getting a much larger coop and some being sent to a couple friends of mine. There are 21 in the inside brooder, 6 in the coop and a silkie and a bantam frizzle cochin moms. Also as a side note my silkie only hatched one chick and I put another under her and the other two of hers I gave in in the day time and she accepted them. The Cochin hatched both her chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom