What are your thoughts?

This is her this morning. She has been drinking and appears to be eating a bit. Lots of watery stool. Any updated thoughts? Coccidosis maybe? Egg bound?

Attachments

• IMG_5901.jpeg
    IMG_5901.jpeg
    461.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    655.3 KB · Views: 2
Her tail down and hunched up appearance could be several things. She may be having some reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis or coelomitis (formerly egg yolk peritonitis.) It hard to know exactly. It is easier to diagnosis after death with a necropsy, but when they appear sick, we have to observe the crop emptying, the poops, if they will eat and drink, and try treatments. I think she may have already had something wrong, and the lack of water might have pushed her over the edge. If she has not been wormed, I would do that. Most older hens have built up a tolerance to coccidia in the soil, but they can get it if they are sickly. Is her crop emptying overnight? Can you offer some egg and mushy wet chicken feed? Bits of tuna or ground meat might tempt her a bit. Let us know how she is doing. I would also check her vent occasionally, in case she is egg bound. Does she normally lay eggs. Human calcium tablet or Tums given orally can help pass an egg.

We have not done a dewormer. What’s your recommendation for one? Also, we were thinking about an Epsom salt bath. Is that a good idea at this point or no?

I would not bathe her since it could stress her more and push her over the edge. If egg bound is possible, give her a calcium tablet and place her in a warm humid room an a warm towel. Try bringing her with the other chickens inside a wire dog crate with food and water for a visit in case she is missing the others.

For worming, I use Valbazen cattle/sheep wormer, shaken well, and given 1/2 ml orally, then repeat it in 10 days to get any new worms that hatch from eggs. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer is found in most feed stores, or the Equine paste can be used. Dosage is 1 ml per pound or 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken give orally. Repeat it for a total of 5 consecutive days to get most all types of worms. Or give it once and in 10 days for roundworms only.

Back
Top Bottom