What are your thoughts?

jwalters15

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2023
Came home and let our chickens out, this one was slowly walking with her head tucked and just not typical self. I did some looking and found out that the water bar had run dry. She was moving about just fine the other day. Could she be dehydrated? I brought her inside and gave her some rooster booster vitamins and electrolytes and some moistened food and a little space heater to warm her up. Some feathers around her vent appear to be plucked at. Here is a picture of her and her feet. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5892.jpeg
    IMG_5892.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5891.jpeg
    IMG_5891.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5890.jpeg
    IMG_5890.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 3
Here are pictures. My wife says she feels firm but not hard.

Attachments

• IMG_5893.jpeg
    IMG_5893.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5895.jpeg
    IMG_5895.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 4
How long was she without water? Her comb looks dark and that with weakness is a sign of dehydration. Are the other chickens okay? She looks like her vent area feathers are being pecked out. Is her lower belly below the vent enlarged? She hopefully will be okay with the fluids and electrolytes. Sometimes they can go into a stress molt when deprived of water or food.

We have 16 other chickens, you could tell they were all thirsty and drank a bit when they first came out and then carried about their business. It rained where I am pretty hard yesterday so we didn’t let them out of the run yesterday but they had time the day before and didn’t show any issues so I would guess at most about 24 hours. However, when I pushed on the red nipples on the water bar I was able to get some water out, it was just more difficult so it wasn’t completely empty.

We also made a mash of oatmeal, eggs, oregano, mealworms and red pepper flakes that she has eaten a bit of.

Let us know your hen gets along. I have always been a little paranoid about providing extra waterers in just of a malfunction or someone jumping on a waterer and knocking it over. It doesn’t hurt to put some water in a black rubber bowl or two. They can be emptied out in freezing weather at might, and refilled early morning.

Just did a check she’s laying down in a roosting type position in the crate like normal. Comb and wattles still a good red. She has had two poops, not sure of order, one was a little more liquidy than normal and other was typical. Both of normal color.

Back
Top Bottom