What AUTOMATIC COOP DOOR opener should I buy?

Since it’s not mentioned in this thread, the RunChicken T50 auto door I installed back in May is still doing it’s thing like it’s supposed to be doing. I believe it’s one of the less expensive options out there.

For a few months I got overconfident and was letting my flock free range every day, unattended. Pretty much relying on the auto door to keep them safe since I was just leaving their 2nd run gate open for them to do their thing. Unfortunately I started losing chickens again so I’ve been keeping them in the run (those were daytime attacks, pretty sure it’s a fox - we had the same problem this time of year a couple years ago). Anyways, I think due to all the fall fruit on the trees in our orchard, most nights I have been hearing a large family of raccoons regularly; also have seen a giant skunk running around, even saw him inside the extended run early in the morning right about when the door openes up (It dug in under the fence - I saw it run away once HeiHei, one of my roosters, came out the auto door to confront it) - knocking on wood with all the predator activity I’ve had recently, but so far none of the predators appear to have gotten past the auto door itself, just my janky extended run that’s not protected as well as the actual coop structure.

I highly recommend the Pullet Shut automatic coop door. I have had mine for 6 years and it has opened and closed without fail the entire time I have used it. I live in Michigan and the coldest days of winter have never been an issue. I do however, have a roof over mine so it never gets rain or snow on it.

Customer service is excellent and they have a solar power option if you do not have electricity at your coop. It is a well made and easy to program door that should last you for years.

I highly recommend the Pullet Shut automatic coop door. I have had mine for 6 years and it has opened and closed without fail the entire time I have used it. I live in Michigan and the coldest days of winter have never been an issue. I do however, have a roof over mine so it never gets rain or snow on it.

Customer service is excellent and they have a solar power option if you do not have electricity at your coop. It is a well made and easy to program door that should last you for years.
I hadn't even heard of this one until now. Cool!

To those that have the Ador1…
@Aunt Angus @45lk9p459gm-w @IdyllwildAcres

Is there a way to program the door to open/close at a certain time instead of going by sun light? The area where the door opens to the coop is pretty dark because we have a roof over that area… I’m worried it’ll close too early and chickens will get locked out. Obviously I’ll test it out the first few nights, but I won’t be able to use it if the only option is to go by sunrise and sunset.

I ordered it about a week ago.
EEA31135-A1A6-48DE-8AF1-DD8A83E59130.jpeg

Shipping was pretty quick.

65D55C72-96F1-4A8B-8CDB-00214631311E.jpeg

I have not yet had time to unbox it to look at it so it’s been sitting in the garage. Hopefully on Saturday we can complete the installation.

A big problem we had with predators is that they get into the coop before we have a chance to close it… for example we are at church 3 nights a week while the chickens are going in. That gives a chance for predators to get in while we’re not home… This was one thing that pushed me to order the Ador1… about a year later 😅

To those that have the Ador1…
@Aunt Angus @45lk9p459gm-w @IdyllwildAcres

Is there a way to program the door to open/close at a certain time instead of going by sun light? The area where the door opens to the coop is pretty dark because we have a roof over that area… I’m worried it’ll close too early and chickens will get locked out. Obviously I’ll test it out the first few nights, but I won’t be able to use it if the only option is to go by sunrise and sunset.

I ordered it about a week ago.
View attachment 3308562
Shipping was pretty quick.

View attachment 3308563
I have not yet had time to unbox it to look at it so it’s been sitting in the garage. Hopefully on Saturday we can complete the installation.

A big problem we had with predators is that they get into the coop before we have a chance to close it… for example we are at church 3 nights a week while the chickens are going in. That gives a chance for predators to get in while we’re not home… This was one thing that pushed me to order the Ador1… about a year later 😅
You can program it to open earlier or later, but not to a specific time. It's been a long time since I programmed mine, though. It's a very simple machine, and programming takes a bit of practice. But you'll get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom