What babies did I get??

ninafe

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Hello! I'm new to this website and new to chicken ownership as well :) I bought four Rhode Island Red, or so I thought, from Tractor Supply a few days ago. The store employee picked them out from a large bucket and handled them to me.

I had just posted a few pictures of my four baby chicks on this forum to ask how old the babies are and someone pointed out that they are NOT RIRs.... But no worries... it's not like I had spent days reading up on RIRs and watched a ton of youtube videos or anything.....

So I am very perplexed as to what breed that I actually DO have. Ultimately it doesn't matter because I plan to raise them more as pets rather than egg/meat. But it'd be good to know what breeds at least... I attached some pictures. Thank you guys!
pic 3.jpg
pic 4.jpg
chick 2.jpg
Chick 1.jpg

Hello! I'm new to this website and new to chicken ownership as well :) I bought four Rhode Island Red, or so I thought, from Tractor Supply a few days ago. The store employee picked them out from a large bucket and handled them to me.

I had just posted a few pictures of my four baby chicks on this forum to ask how old the babies are and someone pointed out that they are NOT RIRs.... But no worries... it's not like I had spent days reading up on RIRs and watched a ton of youtube videos or anything.....

So I am very perplexed as to what breed that I actually DO have. Ultimately it doesn't matter because I plan to raise them more as pets rather than egg/meat. But it'd be good to know what breeds at least... I attached some pictures. Thank you guys!View attachment 3043614View attachment 3043615View attachment 3043616View attachment 3043617
Very cute. I'd say red sex links or Isa browns cinnamon queens golden comets, there's lots of different names for them.

Here they are at 3.5 week old! I think with the help of this community and my subsequent investigative trip back to the tractor supply store, they are most likely ISA brown or at least very close to it. Definitely a mixture of RIR and RIW.

1649865197215.png

Back
Top Bottom