What bantams have we got here?

Rebel Rooster

I Will Love! :)
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Central SC
My Coop
My Coop
OK guys... A couple bantams we picked up several weeks ago from TSC... They came out of the "specialty" bin and (of course) no one there had a clue as to what they were! CORRECTION FOLKS! I miss-counted the days... They're "9" weeks old now. Here's the pair: They have feathered feet, single comb and will walk up and climb into your hand!
35629_tcs_batams_11_weeks_old.jpg

Here's the little pullet:
35629_tcs_batams_11_weeks_old_pullet.jpg

This little guy was in the "specialty" bin... he's solid white, feather footed, bearded, and has a single comb...
35629_tcs_white_batam_11_weeks_old.jpg

Thanks for all of the help guys!
wink.png

Last edited:
I have to agree with every one and say that you have a Cream Mottled D'Uccle, I am not too postitive about the sex though. From that picture of the chicken I reall can only tell body type, comb type, leg color and coloration of plumage. I might could help with sexing if you had a couple more pictures of him.

Also they are Cochin varities but I am still researching the breeds many different color varities to give you a better answer.

Well I have learned quite a bit about Cochins and the MANY color varities!
I have come to a two final choices of variety of cochin which I believe yours are:

They are either Silver Laced Cochin Bantams (poor lacing due to typical "hatchery quality") The big problem, for me, is that by 11 weeks they should begin to show some pattern of lacing but it can take longer. Why are they missing some tail feathers? Agressive brooder-mate?

OR

They are Black Mottled Cochin Bantams. This color variety of Cochin has such a number of different patterns that pretty much they have no real pattern, just a simple White mottling on an all-Black Body. The biggest reason I lean towards this is because they neither one have a very pronuced pattern in the molt, this is very common with this breed. The fact that they are eleven weeks old and are still feathering out concerns me some but they may be playing catch-up due to rough handling by the Post Office while delevoring them (very common, slows down maturity rate in many bantams)

Hope this is helpful

Quote:
It is not a cream mottled, it is a white d'Uccle. There is no mottling there, which would be apparent at 11 weeks. It is also a girl, not a boy. By 11 weeks with d'Uccles, the comb would be much larger.

And, the cochins are mottled. Even with hatchery laced birds, the lacing would be evident by now. You can tell it is mottled by the patched of color, not two colors on one feather.

Back
Top Bottom