What bedding should I use?

Omega1

Hatching
Jan 5, 2016
Hi! I will be getting chickens soon and want to know what bedding I should use, I was going to use the lazy j bedding,but it isn't available near me, I heard that pine shaving are dangerous to you chickens, so those are also out. I can't do sand. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on where to my my chicks? What are the best chick starters? Medicated, or unmedicated? Please included a link where I can get them. What is the chicken coop for 7 chickens? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!
D.gif

I used pine shavings before with no prob. I now use dry leaves, they're free and they work great, better than chopped straw and pine shavings. I was thinking of switching to sand, as soon as i feel like going to find some.

Hi! I will be getting chickens soon and want to know what bedding I should use, I was going to use the lazy j bedding,but it isn't available near me, I heard that pine shaving are dangerous to you chickens, so those are also out. I can't do sand. Any suggestions? Any suggestions on where to my my chicks? What are the best chick starters? Medicated, or unmedicated? Please included a link where I can get them. What is the chicken coop for 7 chickens? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!
D.gif
I recently started using Bermuda grass, and have been having really good luck with it.

D.gif

Congrats!! I got my chicks from mypetchicken.com and have been very happy with them so far(except I got one with a deformity that ended up dying-but the problem went along with the breed-so research health related problems to the breeds you are interested in). As for the food I have Purina Chick grow&starter feed that is medicated. Medicated helps prevent against diseases-so in my opinion that is important. I also got my coop from mypetchicken.com and then built a bigger run. The website has many options which you can browse and get which one that would best fit your needs. You could also get a cheaper one from amazon or somewhere else and then just make sure if they don't have a secure lock, buy some from Home Depot to put on, because the locks are very important!!! And for the bolded question-if you meant where can I find one, I just said that but if you actually want to know what it is, it's just a coop that can hold 7 chickens. http://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/products/start-grow-amp-0125/- this is for the food(but also try and find a local feed store and they might carry it). Amazon might also have it. McMurray I hear is also good to buy chicks from I hear but the min. requirement is more than mypetchicken and that's why we went with them. As for the bedding I have Pine Stable Pellets and a bedding which I can't remember the name of, but it is like what you would use for a guinea pig/hamster.

Last edited:
What's Bermuda grass?
It's kinda like a very thin hay. It has stuff for them to eat, so they pick through it and keep the coop stirred up and drying.
I bought a bale of it six months ago, and am trying the deep bedding/coop method. In 6 months, I haven't even used a third of the bale, the coop doesn't stink at all, and I even used it in the run to keep the hens out of the yucky poopy mud when it rains.

I got the grass at a local feed store.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome! If you are ordering baby chicks, it's best to keep them on only papr towels or similar for the first few days. Babies have been known to die from impacted croup from eating shavings. Also, you can easily check the poop.
for the coop, pine shavings, deep litter or straw will work well depending on your housing and environment. I've read on several threads to avoid using long edible grasses as there is a small risk of impacted croup.
I have used Meyer and M Mc M and was very happy with both. The order minimums are based on weather somewhat to ensure body heat for shipping. The later you order, the less # they will ship.Best of luck!

I started useing cut straw for the run then started useing leaves ....hey love it. And pine shavings in the coop.

Last edited:
New to chickens, really new..I actually get mine tomorrow.. Has anyone used the grass they mow from their lawn for bedding? I live in Texas and it dries up pretty fast in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom