What bedding u use for your chickens?

Because my coop is bigger now and I have less chickens in it, I have been turning the bedding and removing big poops every day. So I only clean every other week.
I've got 7 chicks (3 inside and 4 outside) which will take up some coop space when they grow up. So I'm not sure if I'll keep this method or not

Does it work for deep litter? It's much less expensive than the hemp I'm considering for that.
Horse pellet bedding needs to be 'soaked' with water for it to 'plem' up (fluff for those of you non Newfoundlanders :) ), so you might as well just go with softwood shavings. This is what I use for my horses and chickies - easy to clean, and controls odour really well.

I would really look at getting a pal for your pullet - from the photos she is very very young. Try Kijiji - you can surely get one or two from there, and if you are not fussy about getting a million eggs you can try for something fancy like Cochins or Silkies (ok I am partial hahaha).

Horse pellet bedding needs to be 'soaked' with water for it to 'plem' up (fluff for those of you non Newfoundlanders :) ), so you might as well just go with softwood shavings. This is what I use for my horses and chickies - easy to clean, and controls odour really well.

Why do you need them to fluff up? It seems like you are wasting the absorbant power of wood pellets by doing that. I have only been using wood pellets for a week now, but I didn't add any water and don't see the need.

Back
Top Bottom