What birds to show?

Alex961

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Lexington, South Carolina
Hi everyone I am wondering what is a good breed of chickens to show? I would like one that not many people show and that is different. I already have Silkies but their is so much competition and people showing these birds. Thanks for your help everyone! -Alex

i would say most if not all breeds would be suitable to show, as long as you find some good quality birds. i buy/show the breeds i like, not based on popularity or rarity.

Quote:
I completely agree! I chose faverolles because I like them not because they are rare its actually frustrates me that the judges may not have seen faverolles recently and don't know what a good one looks like!

Henry

Thats just like me. I too wanted something that there would be no competition with, but in the end I chose Golden sebrights, and Black Tailed White Japanese. Sometimes you have to work to make them show quality (i am breeding to make mine to be show quality and I'm almost done with the sebrights but not anywhere near being done with the japanese). But it all comes down to what you like and dont like. Get something you like and you most likley wont be disapointed!

Last edited:
I wouldn't Show Any sexlink hybrids, EEs or Meat birds
smile.png

Thanks so much for your advise I was looking and I saw this one breed called Egyptian Fayoumis which I really like but I also might start showing cochins or faverolles.

What I did before I started any showing at all is I went and I bought a ton of different chickens and I weeded out the ones I didnt like. Then once I decided I bought good quality and I went from there. I've only gotten rid of my cochins since then. That is a breed that I would only recommend to a begginer that wasn't going to show. It takes alot to keep them in good condition. I like clean legged breeds. I LOVE my bantam ameraucanas and i just got bantam rhode island reds but they are fitting in like I have had them for years. I also would like to have bantam white rocks and I'm getting my silkie flock together.

Quote:
To be honest the silkies are one breed that isnt showed by many people! But you in SC there is a few more in NC and SC then where we are! I are the main Silkie exhibitor there is a few in Indiana( K-D and Harvest Breeze) in our area! but I dont know many more I usually show against my self at some of the shows!!!
Old English are a big no-no if you want something that isnt shown much as well as
Moderns
Cochins
Wyandottes
Plymouth Rocks
Japanese bantams( hard to breed due to the lethal short leg gene)
Dutch
Rosecombs( hard to condition and too long to wait on males to be in full feather)
Sebrights (hard to get lacing right and type right)
D'Anvers

I would go with
Cornish
*Call Ducks are very easy to condition, raise and show plus you can go two ways with them Waterfowl and bantam!!!
D'Uccles
Silkies
Lanshlangs
Faverolles
Polish do very well in AOCCL
Ameraucana
RIR
New hamshire
Orpingtons
American Game
Brahma does have compition but birds generally equal in type little easier to win with good stock
there is a few more!!!

Heres a website you can use to see a few of the breeds listed
http://www.bantamclub.com/gallery/index.php?cat=13

Last edited:
Quote:
To be honest the silkies are one breed that isnt showed by many people!

There are tons of silkies more then any other breed at least at the shows I have been to lately maybe it depends on what area your in though.

Henry

Back
Top Bottom