What brand computer should i get?

Quote:
Thank you for all the info. I am not that familier with all that type of stuff and I have heard alot of different opinions, some say add all the anti virus stuff you can have four or more on your computer. we have wireless internet and i was told our computer can be more subseptable to hackers? but we live away from people on 13 acres i would figure they would have to be close to me to get through the internet provider i have onto my computer?! or does that sound dumb my way of thinking, i hate that high tech part of it, i don't understand it all! lol!

wendy

Well, you should secure your wireless internet, but with the size of your property, you probably won't have much of a problem as most wireless systems only transmit about 500 feet. I'm on 4 acres and at the egde of my property line I can barely pick up the signal. Also, most newer wireless routers us NAT (I'll skip the technobabble) but in generic terms, it's a firewall. Four antivirus systems is paranoia. One good one (Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, AVG) is really all you need. With the NAT on your wireless router, windows firewall and good antivirus you're in good shape. That's the same configuration I use and I haven't had a virus or a hack ever. But at the same time, I don't download junk and visit those questionable sites. Most system failures are caused by poor user behavior.

Thank you for the info! Very informational and helpful furturechickenman. wendy
smile.png

ps. looks like there are alot of different opinions on computers and that is what i dealt with too when shopping around. sounds like the best thing is no what you get make sure you have the best protection for you computer :) Wendy
big_smile.png

I got my new computer. I got a Gateway.
3 GB Memmory
Athlon Dual Core Processor
3.0 Ghz
320 GB Hard Drive
I got the nice 19 in monitor with keyboard, mouse, speakers and internet secutity, and i had one more Word license (sp) all for Under $700 too! I am happy

Quote:
Nice. I use a Gateway laptop now and have for the last year. I also managed
a network of Gateways in the late 90's and didn't have any issues.

All the companies have issues from time to time. Things lock up, crash, freeze, etc...
It's part of it all. When it happens, 9 out of 10 times you can restart and go back
to work.

Enjoy your new machine.

Quote:
Macs are great. Stylish equipment, rock solid operating system, intuitive interface. BUT, they are expensive, they don't use standard PC components so they are hard to upgrade, and you pretty much have to stick to the standard office and multimedia software. As a tinkerer and amateur radio operator, I use a lot of specialized software for programming microcontrollers, radio control, contact logging, etc. There's a ton of stuff written for Windows, but it's slim pickings for the Mac. I've heard their OS emulation software has come a long way, but haven't tried it. Anybody out there running Windows emulation on a Mac? How well does it work with USB and serial devices?

Quote:
Macs are great. Stylish equipment, rock solid operating system, intuitive interface. BUT, they are expensive, they don't use standard PC components so they are hard to upgrade, and you pretty much have to stick to the standard office and multimedia software. As a tinkerer and amateur radio operator, I use a lot of specialized software for programming microcontrollers, radio control, contact logging, etc. There's a ton of stuff written for Windows, but it's slim pickings for the Mac. I've heard their OS emulation software has come a long way, but haven't tried it. Anybody out there running Windows emulation on a Mac? How well does it work with USB and serial devices?

Couldn't agree with you more Mac in abilene. I own both but wouldn't dream of using
my Mac to program a PLC.

Brooster has already bought his system so the Mac/PC debate really has no place here
anymore. I'm happy he made up his mind and can start enjoying his new system.

First thing Brooster dump that internetsecurity package and get yourself AVG!!!

Quote:
We run Windows XP on Macbook pro. It works fine with USB devices. Once you get used to it it's a pretty slick operation. It takes up a good bit of memory though.

Back
Top Bottom