What brand computer should i get?

Quote:
If you wanna play those high end games (like WoW) you have to spend big bucks on that laptop. Like in the 4,000$ range. Not worth it when you can build a desktop capable of playing those games for half of that. Laptops are best for internet, email, word processing, you know, work stuff. Desktops are better for games. Or do what I do, use the computers for work and the Playstation for games.

I bought a Toshiba Laptop for $499 and it plays WoW just great. My son (18 yr old) plays it about everyday when he's not working. I'm by no means a comp. expert but I think that's a good deal, atleast my son said it was, lol. Don't ask me what it has in it but when I went to buy it I said "It must be capable of playing WoW" and the sales lady (who happened to play) told me exactly what to buy.

Our house has 3 different brands. We have a mac Ibook G4 (cant run any windows programs like internet explorer), my brother has a compaq laptop (this is his second one. His first one died and this one is starting to go) and I use a dell dimension. I been using it for a few months now with no problems but I use freespyer or freespier from linux. No virus's and if I want to change my computer is windows XP pro ready.

Forgot to add. I use my PS3 for gaming but I am going to buy a alienware laptop or a dell XPS laptop in the future.

Last edited:
Quote:
Exactly right Dave. I'd like to mention some free tools that really help keeping your systems up and running.

Adaware (you already mentioned, Spyware remover)
Spybot Search and Destroy (spyware remover)
Hijack This (experienced users spyware identification tool)
AVG Antivirus Free version
K9 Web Protection (content filter, logger)
Reg Vac (registry cleaner, free to try for 30 days)

Also be sure to make full use of the tools built in to windows.. System Restore, Defrag (can scedule in Vista! yay!), Firewall, etc.

As for business machines, the Dell Latitudes, Precisions have been great for us. I've had good luck with the Optiplexs for home use and they're dirt cheap. And really, the hardware in a computer isn't meant to last forever. In the (ahem) old days you could get 10 years out of a pc (heck I have a PS2/25 circa 1988 that still runs! No hard drive in it though only floppies) but these days 4-5 years tops. The batteries typically fail after one year. This is normal, I don't care what brand, what model, what battery or how you use it, that's what they do.

Please also keep in mind that laptops get far more daily abuse than a desktop; bouncing around in bags, being dropped, thunked on tables, bumped, stuff spilt on them, opened and closed, etc etc.. Laptops are repaired 1.5 times more than a desktop (on average) so that's another thing to keep in mind. Shoot, my sharp laptop has been knocked off the coffee table 3 times in it's 4 year life and amazingly still works. Although the power supply connector is broken (I have it rigged to keep working). If you really want a laptop that can stand some abuse, you need to look at the Panasonic toughbook or Itronix Gobook laptops but be ready to spend about 6k and an extra $20 for a back brace to carry it.

Quote:
What's up?
cool.png

Nobody's mentioned Gateway, but I have a 4 year old desktop, a two year old laptop, and two laptops I bought in January, all from Gateway. I've never had any problems with them, save for the boys shattering the screen on mine a few weeks ago. $175 for a new LCD screen on E-Bay and 10 minutes with a screwdriver and it's good as new...

I like the Gateway Laptops, the thing that drew me to them two years ago was the slimline design, compared to the big clunkers from Compaq, Toshiba, and Acer that were on the shelves at the time. This is the one I use everyday:

6844052316327252.JPG

Sony or Mac. My husband works at HP and we have HP's but I hate them. I've never had one good one and the customer service sucks! When this desktop dies, I'm getting a Sony. I just bought a Sony laptop after my new HP laptop died on the second day. I love the Sony and haven't had a single problem with it at all.

Last edited:
If its within your price range get an Alienware. They are awesome fast computers, I cant afford one, but my friend has one and its amazingly fast. You can get one for about $3,000. Its a really nice computer. I just got a Dell for about $1,500 its pretty nice, but I hate Dell customer support!

You know, Dell owns Alienware. Alienware is a good computer though. Sager makes a very solid highend gaming laptop. Friend of mine got one for $2500 4 years ago and it's still a good machine and can run most new games with no problems at high settings.

Mac isn't a bad choice but it's limiting for a lot of people (it's also obscenely overpriced IMO).

Dell makes a descent machine for the money, but it's not really about what brand you get. Keep your eyes open for the right specs for the money. I'd avoid e-Machine because it's typically lower quailty parts (I think they are owned by HP now). Compaq is owned by HP.

Personally, I build my computers from parts off NewEgg . Take a look at the laptop section etc. they have some solid prebuilt systems for fairly reasonable prices. For playing games like WoW you should be able to walk away for under $700. For just browsing, word -- that type of stuff you could probably get out under $500.

If you're feeling adventurous take a look on craigslist. I see descent systems for a good price on there all the time.

My sister has gone through two Dells in 3 years.
My mom 3 Hps. Now has some generic computer.

We have MACs. My husband is a MAC fanatic. I think nearly everyone in his office owns and uses a MAC as well.

IMHO what you buy for a computer depends on what you want to use it for. Saying that. There is no way in the world I will willingly use a Windows machine. And definitely no way I will spend good money on one

Quote:
Make sure you keep your receipt handy. Sony wont even talk to you if you don't have a receipt. Also be ready to sit on hold for a while. I sat on hold with them for 90 minutes just to have them tell me, no receipt no help.

Sony customer service sucks the big one. Their laptops are nice but heaven forbid anything goes wrong.

Back
Top Bottom