What brand computer should i get?

Exactly right Dave. I'd like to mention some free tools that really help keeping your systems up and running.

Adaware (you already mentioned, Spyware remover)
Spybot Search and Destroy (spyware remover)
Hijack This (experienced users spyware identification tool)
AVG Antivirus Free version
K9 Web Protection (content filter, logger)
Reg Vac (registry cleaner, free to try for 30 days)

Also be sure to make full use of the tools built in to windows.. System Restore, Defrag (can scedule in Vista! yay!), Firewall, etc.

futurechickenman,

you put on here some things to keep your system running smooth. how do i know if i have these things? we just bought a new computer in april of this year with windows vista, a dell laptop inspiron 1720. can you help me with this question?

thanks , wendy

Quote:
If these programs are already installed they will show up on the programs menu. Click the windows icon in the lower left corner (formerly the start buton) go up to all programs, when that pops open if you have any of that software you'll see it in that list. Chances are you don't. Most dells come with very little software on them. First and foremost is find out if you have a full version of the Antivirus software or if you have trial ware (try it then buy it). If it's trial ware, download the AVG Antivirus software. It's free and works great.

If you want to download and install that stuff, google the names I gave you and you'll find them no problem.

ETA - The most important rule in keeping your computer virus and spyware free is don't do stupid things; opening email from people you don't know, installing those cutesy emoticon things, visting websites with questionable material (wink wink), etc.

Last edited:
Thank you furturechicken man, i did first check when we got it about a firewall and we have a year subscription to tren pc illin virus protection software that came on our dell, i don't know if you have heard of it, i had not :) thank you for the help i will check out avg virus protection too.

wendy

Quote:
oh yeah, trend micro has been around for at least 5 years that I know of. It's pretty good, lots of motherboard manufacturers use to include it with their products way back when. When your free year ends, then check out AVG.

I hate Dells. I have one and every day I am saving for an iBook G4 (we get them at school). Then again, this computer was my GRANDFATHER'S and maybe it doesn't preform well because it's so darn OLD- but still, Apples, IMHO, are waaaay better.

Quote:
oh yeah, trend micro has been around for at least 5 years that I know of. It's pretty good, lots of motherboard manufacturers use to include it with their products way back when. When your free year ends, then check out AVG.

Thank you for all the info. I am not that familier with all that type of stuff and I have heard alot of different opinions, some say add all the anti virus stuff you can have four or more on your computer. we have wireless internet and i was told our computer can be more subseptable to hackers? but we live away from people on 13 acres i would figure they would have to be close to me to get through the internet provider i have onto my computer?! or does that sound dumb my way of thinking, i hate that high tech part of it, i don't understand it all! lol!

wendy

Quote:

Thank you for all the info. I am not that familier with all that type of stuff and I have heard alot of different opinions, some say add all the anti virus stuff you can have four or more on your computer. we have wireless internet and i was told our computer can be more subseptable to hackers? but we live away from people on 13 acres i would figure they would have to be close to me to get through the internet provider i have onto my computer?! or does that sound dumb my way of thinking, i hate that high tech part of it, i don't understand it all! lol!

wendy

Well, you should secure your wireless internet, but with the size of your property, you probably won't have much of a problem as most wireless systems only transmit about 500 feet. I'm on 4 acres and at the egde of my property line I can barely pick up the signal. Also, most newer wireless routers us NAT (I'll skip the technobabble) but in generic terms, it's a firewall. Four antivirus systems is paranoia. One good one (Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, AVG) is really all you need. With the NAT on your wireless router, windows firewall and good antivirus you're in good shape. That's the same configuration I use and I haven't had a virus or a hack ever. But at the same time, I don't download junk and visit those questionable sites. Most system failures are caused by poor user behavior.

I own a small software company. If you're looking at PCs, Dells and Gateways are the most unreliable just because the machines are put together by individuals so you never know what you'll get. Customization can produce lemons. Subsequently, the tech support issues I get are primarily from people who bought computers from those companies.

From personal experience, I go with HP/Compaq (same company now) for desktops and Toshibas for laptops. Both have been tried and true for my company for ten years from the off the shelf perspective.

When you get tired of messing around with all this stuff.......

Adaware (you already mentioned, Spyware remover)
Spybot Search and Destroy (spyware remover)
Hijack This (experienced users spyware identification tool)
AVG Antivirus Free version
K9 Web Protection (content filter, logger)
Reg Vac (registry cleaner, free to try for 30 days)

Switch to Linux, no extra cpu robbing junk to load. Thats why MAC's are so good, just too pricey for me. I bought a $450 Everex laptop at walmart, I made a partition for windoze Xtra Problems to run some games only. Then Madriva 2008 linux on the rest of the drive, "dual boot", where its safe to do my banking, surfing the net etc.

Back
Top Bottom