What brand incubator do you guys recommend?

Layin Eggs

Songster
12 Years
Nov 4, 2007
South Eastern, MA
I am hoping to get an incubator for the holidays, but not sure what to look for. I do think I want a self turner.

What do you guys recommend ...best bang for the buck?

Thanks
hmm.png

If you don't have a lot of $$$ to spend I've had good luck with my electronic thermostat hova-bators. The temp is pre-set and it's got a fan. I just got my auto-turner for my last hatch and I was happy with it. Now if I had unlimited funds I'd get a sportsman incubator.
smile.png

I have really fallen in love with my Little Giant 9200, we bought the automatic turner and my husband installed a fan. Once we got this my addiction intensified though.... Don't say I didn't warn you!

i have 5 little gaint 9200s and no turner and have good hatches. i bought mine at the feed store for 37.50 apiece

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
You have 5???? I thought I was crazy. We have three with the fan and turners
added. Plus we have 3 Flukers temp/hydrometer.

9200 $40
Fan $40
Turner $40
Fluker $20

I'm gonna sell two of our packages and upgrade to a Brinsea. We'll
keep one as a hatcher. I don't know how you regulate temp without the
fan.

If you are looking for most for the dollar it is hard to beat an LG or Hova. If price is no issue then go for a Brinsea. For quantity hatching I would go with the Brinsea Ova Easy 380 over the sportsman. Far better value for the dollar and no comprimise in performance.

I have an R-COM 20 and it's great. It's very easy to use and is very reliable in terms of holding temperature and humidity. The only annoying thing about it is that it doesn't actually hold 20 chicken eggs, more like 16-18.

I agree with Katy, especially if you are not looking at hatching a lot of eggs. I have the Hovabator with the full-view window on top and digital thermostat. I had used wafer types in the past and always had to adjust it now and then, it was prone to temp spikes up or down and had a hard time getting really good hatches. I would have to check several times a day and always worried. Since I got this one I have been thrilled! The first couple hatches last year were not great but it was my fault for having the temp set wrong (ALWAYS use 2 thermometers!). I have chicks hatching right now under the proper settings and have had 100% rate on my EE and RIR crosses and my Marans are still hatching. The best part about it is the digital thermostat. Once you get it set you just plug it in and within 15 min. it's up to temp. It does not flucutate more than .5 degree for me and it's great to not have to wory about it. I don't need a bigger capacity unit and would not trade this for anything. I did A LOT of price shopping when getting mine and found that Double R had the best price on the combo incubator and auto turner. If funds are pretty tight I would say the first priority would be the digital thermostat, second the big clear window (It comes in both models). But, I can tell you that when hatching time comes you will be SO happy that you got that big window so you don't miss a thing! Hope this helps!

Richard

Back
Top Bottom