What brand of feed do you all use?

FuryanGoddess

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
PA
So far I've been using DuMor because that's what they were using at TSC. I've also seen Layena and Purina ...

Any suggestions? And when do they switch from chick feed to layer feed? '

Thanks a million!

Hello!

I also used Dumor because TSC carried it, but then I started going to a local farm store, and they had Nutrena layer crumbles, so I buy those because they're less expensive.

When my pullets turn 17 weeks of age, I finish up my last bag of chick grower, then I switch to the layer crumbles.

Take care,
Sharon

There are only a relative handful of national feed brands so most of what everyone uses will likely be local or regional brands that are not going to be available to you.

Layena is a Purina product which is one of the national brands. Nutrena is another then there is DuMor which as you know is TSCs store brand. They don't mill their own feed, but contract it out. There are also Blue Seal and MannaPro. You can include WalMarts chicken feed (yes they do sell it in many stores) but at the moment I can't recall what they named it.

I've tried them all and they all performed well enough. The national brands in my experience tend to be towards the upper end of the price range. I myself now use pretty much just Flint River Mills (FRM) out of Banebride, Georgia, but they are a regional mill and I'm pretty sure they don't go as far north as Pennsylvania.

Chances are you've got at least a couple of local and regional brands in your area. I'd buy a bag of each and try them out. The FRM that I buy typically runs three dollars a bag cheaper than the Purina or Nutrena equivalent.

I use Agway. That said I usually don't recommend a brand or type (mash, crumbles or pellet). There are many opinions on each and some work for one but not for someone else. As A.T.Hagan said try different ones out, till you find the one you like. You can feed chick starter till they start laying. Or you can switch to a grower after the starter and before the layer. The only poor choice is to start them on layer to soon.

Ok. I didn't know if it was like w/ dog food. I tried the premium brands, grain free and whatnot... in the end, my dog is a ***** and we settled on a brand that doesn't make her ears funky and finally filled her out and got her to a good weight. Most would say it's a crap brands, Purina One Small Bites Beef and Rice, but.. hell.. she's the one that has to eat it. Silly GSD.

Here's her photo, even thou I digress....

I feed my chickens blue seal, I always thought of it as a good feed for other animals and its not too expensive.

I feed my dog raw meat

Hubbard is a national feed company that licenses local mills throughout North America. They supply the supplement package which the local mill mixes into the proper ratio of local grains to grind and sack. This is our least expensive way to go, BY FAR!!!! We also have a small, regional feed company called Armada that sells quality feeds through a local rural store chain. DuMor is simply TSC's house brand made by Purina. It works.

Any and all of them work well. We are both quality conscience and price conscience. 50 lbs bags of national brand feed, at $16 or $18 is just far too expensive with the many mouths we have to feed here.

Last edited:
so what do u pay for a 50# bag?

$9. I actually buy 100 lb bags and they are $17. There is also a 50 cent credit for bring the feed sack back. Tied at the neck with baling twine. Old timey all the way.
smile.png

Wow, you are paying for a 100#, what I pay for a 50# bag. Our local elevator no longer mixes their own feed, they carry Kent brand, and that is what I feed. I wish there was an elevator around that mixed their own. I read somewhere not to feed layer until they start laying eggs. Since there have been so many dog food recalls, I feed the kent gold to my dogs, they've never been recalled.
Fred's hens, northern mitten, Michigan?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom