1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What brand/type of poultry feed do you use?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Attack Chicken, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ok I am sick of getting the Purina Flock Raiser that is just dust in the bag. My chickens just flick it out of their hanging feed and the quail just seem to want to dustbathe in it. I miss the Kent feed that the TSC here used to sell and can't find anywhere else close that sells it. There is a place that carries Hubbard? feed but would it be good for quail to? I talked to a guy that runs a feed/seed store and they carry a gamebird feed that starts with a S i think and it's from TN but i couldn't find it anywhere on Google.

So what do you all use? I use crumbles.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I get my feed made with my recipe at the local co-op. you can see whats in it.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My chickens like the crumbles best. The local feed store has something they call crumbles, but it's more like half mash and half super small crumbles. They will NOT eat anything powdery at ALL. The TSC here has Purina Layer Crumbles, and so far it's what they are eating. It gets gobbled up pretty fast, so they must like it! Also give cracked corn and assorted veggies and stuff like yogurt, fruit, leftover pasta, etc. Also give them free choice grit and oyster shell.

4. CocoTeal

CocoTeal New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    Northwest Washington
    Hi! I use Albers All-Purpose Poultry Crumbles. My chickens love it! I wouldn't thing there would be anything wrong with having your other birds eat it too. [​IMG]

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I use flock raiser (purina) for my turkeys, and it is crumbles- not dusty really at all. The chickens are always sneaking in to get it. I like it, the birds like it. I wonder why your bags are so dust like. I would complain nicely to the feed store and show them a sample- they can let the supplier know. It may be a processing glitch.

The crumble size is very similar to other crumbles I have used (chick starts from various mills and layer crumbles from purina and others).

6. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I use crumbles also. There was too much waste with the mash. They got it all over the place. I did read you can mix the mash with water to make it like oatmeal. But that sounds like a pain doing that every day.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I use nutrena layer crumbles. So far so good, no issues.

8. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I use 20% protein layer pellets from Sabine Valley Mills.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Nutrena grower/finisher crumbles.

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by