What brand/type of poultry feed do you use?

Since our TSC stopped carring Kent I've switched to Purina. Every bag has been powder, maybe like 20% crumbles and the rest powdered food. Even the wild birds aren't eating the powdery food..Also since switching to the Purina the eggs that my bgirls have been giving me have had cracks,deformed and even shell-less eggs. I never had this problem with Kent and it's getting annoying buying oystershell to give to them.
I have 3 feed stores that I can get to(including TSC) they carry- Dumor,Purina,Hubbard, and 1 carries the name of the food I can't remember but it is a Gamebird food which I'm thinking of trying a 50lb bag of it. I figured this might be better with a higher % of protein so I won't have to buy the oystershell.

If worst comes to worst I have a friend that works were my father is and he goes by a store out in Greenfield (I believe) that carries Kent. I'll have to just buy 3-5 bags at a time and store them LOL

I have never used anything but Dumor. I have not had any problems with it being powdery. My chickens also free range all day and get scratch plus all my table scraps. they love it when we hang fresh corn or a head of cabbage from a tree, it's gone in no time.

My eggs are always good with orange yolks and sturdy shells. Egg shells go back to them crumbled up in the table scraps for extra calcium. We really don't go through a lot of feed considering their other options.

I use Purina sunfresh layena pellets, the reason the crumbles was just like dust by the time the chickens got through tromping through it. I feed everyone together so the ducks and chickens eat out of the same feed pans.

Quote:
Why do you not like Purina? I'm a chicken owning newbie, and that's what I use, so is there something wrong with it?

Purina Chicken Feed is soybean based and has no animal protein in it.
Soy isn't the best thing for your chickens to eat. A lot of breeders myself included have found if you feed a feed that is soy based with no animal proteins in it you will tend to have poor hatch rate and fertility problems in your roosters.

Chickens need some animal protein in there feed also animal proteins is easier for poultry to digest than a plant protein.

Chris

Last edited:
I use Countryside Organic Soy-Free chick starter and layer and scratch....
yippiechickie.gif

Natures Best organic layer pellet. Chickens love it and we seem to get a lot less waste than with the laying mash we were getting from a local farmer. Also, no seeds in the bedding we use to dress our garden beds.

i am trying to get ahold of someone in northern michigan that has buckeye poultry products. what i have read i like.
at the present i use the dumor but have found out it is a generic of purina feeds. and i am not impressed with their feed plus my hens have went thur the worst molt i have ever seen . i just made up a pot of pinto beans and add some buger and flax seed to give them a boost.plus sunflower seeds,ect
i can find some kent products but i can not find a poultry finisher for layers at 15% protein for my 12 week old pullets. to much protein will cause them to mature out side but not inside and cause a blow out.everything is 20 % or better.
what up with that
idunno.gif

also crumbles are much better, your birds have a better chance of getting some good out of their feed and it not at the bottom of the bag as with mash

Back
Top Bottom