What Bred is this?

JulianaRussini

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 7, 2015
Hello, this pullet I bought on December 5, 2014 in a lot of Barred Plymouth Rock, still chick, she is clearly not of this breed. Would anyone tell me the breed Dorothy?
Here are some photos of different stages of it:
December 6, 2014
January 24, 2015
March 24, 2015

Last edited:
Wow. Hmm. The feathering isn't a breed I have experience with. What is interesting is the size of the comb and wattles for the age. Also interesting is that the feet are black in the first photo and the third photo shows yellow, muddy? feet. Hmmm. Looking to hear from the experts on this one. I like her pattern though.
smile.png

Wait ... 4 dates and 3 pics? Is the last photo of the pullet facing left on the round roost dated 3/24/15? As a chick, was 5/12/14? So current age is around 10 months? Or is there a photo missing?

Sorry there is a wrong date it is December last year.I'll put pictures of another that I bought with it. Interestingly, the other is a great race, but had some type of dwarfism. They sold only 3 colors chick. I'll get the date in the original text.

Okay, so the chick is only about 3 1/2 month old; so the comb and wattle are appropriately sized.

That's an awfully strange pattern (lovely, though). The feather pattern isn't something that most of us could get if we crossed our chickens. It looks like it could have a barring pattern to it possibly ... you know ... if you spread out the wings and looked at them from a wide perspective. It's probably one of those weird things that crops up every now and then that really has no genetic answer. White on some of the feather tips is not easy to get unless you're working with Anconas or similar and that mottling is recessive so the spotting wouldn't show up in the first cross. Plus the spotting is different and more regular. And the body type of your chicken looks to be different from that breed. And Anconas have white ear lobes. So. Who knows? Not me.

But a pretty patterned chicken!
clap.gif

This other was purchased along with Dorothy, is called Berenice. It is not a Bantam breed, because I was looking for Bantam and they had not, but I had some type of dwarfism. Here are some pictures of her and only other together with Dorothy to give you an idea of size.
The Berenice when we arrived, had diarrhea and had to have a special care with her for about 10 days.
One question I have most of the race of them is whether they are birds that hatch naturally or need brooder.

One question I have most of the race of them is whether they are birds that hatch naturally or need brooder.

I am not much help with this question. I have no answers.

I am not familiar with the breeds. I am also not familiar with whether or not they will set on eggs and hatch the eggs into chicks. I would guess that they wouldn't because most chickens these days have been bred to lay eggs, so hens that stop laying to sit and hatch chicks are kept out of the breeding pool and don't pass on their genes.

Hopefully someone will come along and know about your chickens, but since they look like mixed breeds, it is difficult to know with certainty if they will hatch eggs.

NOTE: I hope this post translates through the translator better than my last one probably did.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom