What breed and gender is this?

2Spooky4Me

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016
I ordered 15 Australorp Hens 3 weeks ago and got 16. 3 weeks later, I am doubting their supposed breed and/or gender. I have around 12 of my 16 having brown and black striped feathers on their chest. These feathers are in the same pattern as a Plymouth Rock, but has the white on the Rock substituted with a golden brown. Some of the chickens (such as the one shown) have a golden feather with a black lining on the edge, like a golden laced Wyandotte. I doubt a genetic mutation, because I'm sure that every last one of the chickens I have came from a different mother. These came from Hoover's Hatchery in Dur, Iowa.

If I were you I'd shoot them an email, because there's no way those are australorps. And I'd especially email them if you ordered pullets because the one pictured is a cockerel.

I ordered 15 Australorp Hens 3 weeks ago and got 16. 3 weeks later, I am doubting their supposed breed and/or gender. I have around 12 of my 16 having brown and black striped feathers on their chest. These feathers are in the same pattern as a Plymouth Rock, but has the white on the Rock substituted with a golden brown. Some of the chickens (such as the one shown) have a golden feather with a black lining on the edge, like a golden laced Wyandotte. I doubt a genetic mutation, because I'm sure that every last one of the chickens I have came from a different mother. These came from Hoover's Hatchery in Dur, Iowa.

Welcome to BYC, that is unfortunate about your chickies I'd send them an email as well.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree the bird pictured is a cockerel, and I'm not sure right off what breed it would be with that coloring. I'd be contacting the hatchery with pictures and getting a refund. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you deal with a bunch of cockerels you didn't want.

Not a black star, a cockerel would be black and white barred.
Not a Wyandotte, it's not laced and has a straight comb.
Not a Barnevelder, it's not laced.

Back
Top Bottom