What breed and gender is this?

2Spooky4Me

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016
I ordered 15 Australorp Hens 3 weeks ago and got 16. 3 weeks later, I am doubting their supposed breed and/or gender. I have around 12 of my 16 having brown and black striped feathers on their chest. These feathers are in the same pattern as a Plymouth Rock, but has the white on the Rock substituted with a golden brown. Some of the chickens (such as the one shown) have a golden feather with a black lining on the edge, like a golden laced Wyandotte. I doubt a genetic mutation, because I'm sure that every last one of the chickens I have came from a different mother. These came from Hoover's Hatchery in Dur, Iowa.

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
If I were you I'd shoot them an email, because there's no way those are australorps. And I'd especially email them if you ordered pullets because the one pictured is a cockerel.

chicklover 1998

Songster
Sep 30, 2015
Oskaloosa,Ia
I ordered 15 Australorp Hens 3 weeks ago and got 16. 3 weeks later, I am doubting their supposed breed and/or gender. I have around 12 of my 16 having brown and black striped feathers on their chest. These feathers are in the same pattern as a Plymouth Rock, but has the white on the Rock substituted with a golden brown. Some of the chickens (such as the one shown) have a golden feather with a black lining on the edge, like a golden laced Wyandotte. I doubt a genetic mutation, because I'm sure that every last one of the chickens I have came from a different mother. These came from Hoover's Hatchery in Dur, Iowa.

Welcome to BYC, that is unfortunate about your chickies I'd send them an email as well.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
welcome-byc.gif

I agree the bird pictured is a cockerel, and I'm not sure right off what breed it would be with that coloring. I'd be contacting the hatchery with pictures and getting a refund. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you deal with a bunch of cockerels you didn't want.

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Not a black star, a cockerel would be black and white barred.
Not a Wyandotte, it's not laced and has a straight comb.
Not a Barnevelder, it's not laced.

Top Bottom