What breed and Gender is this

tclemts

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Superior Montana
My daughter gave me three babies. They are about 4 to 5 weeks as of today. This picture snows them, the one in the front is supposed to be a bluebell, middle is a lavender orpington, and the back one is supposed to be an olive egger/ sapphire gem cross. Im unsure about the front one because she looks like my Barred Rocks. Can anyone clarify the front one and the back one? Also can you tell if they are girls, I don't want any roosters.

Attachments

• babies.jpg
    babies.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 19
My daughter gave me three babies. They are about 4 to 5 weeks as of today. This picture snows them, the one in the front is supposed to be a bluebell, middle is a lavender orpington, and the back one is supposed to be an olive egger/ sapphire gem cross. Im unsure about the front one because she looks like my Barred Rocks. Can anyone clarify the front one and the back one? Also can you tell if they are girls, I don't want any roosters.
One is a Barred Rock, Pullet by coloring. Sapphire Gems are sex linked, meaning pullet if there is no barring, but if he/she is a cross, then I'm not sure if it would be the same.
I haven't dealt with bluebells, but I'm sure others have. Maybe some more, close up pictures would help?

These may be what you were told. Difficult to say. The only one that I think with certainty is the lavender Orpington though I don’t see the head or face on this one so can’t be 100% positive. From what I can see of your birds they look to be female. Too early to be certain.😊

None of the birds pictured are Sapphire Gems, potentially mixes, but regardless, they are not sexlinked. The one on right is an egger of some sort, one left of it a does look to be lavender, so likely Lavender Orp as you were told. Other looks to be a Barred Rock

Bluebells are a mixed breed sold by Hoovers. They have leghorn in the mix and a colored layer to get the blue eggs.
Being mixed they can vary quite a bit. I have one that is white with a red chest and one that is a dark chocolate color with gold highlights. Both of mine are bearded with pea combs and both lay pale blue eggs.

I do not see a barred bird with a straight comb as a possibility for a bluebell.

Back
Top Bottom