What Breed and Sex Are My Four Week Old Chicks?

BrittSawyer

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
1. This chick is a bantam.

2. This chick is also a bantam.

3. This chick has feathers going down the legs and the legs are kind of a blue-y colour. Its not a bantam.

4. This chick is not a bantam, has feather going down its legs and its quite colourful. It think its a roo because its getting quite the head gear already.

5. This chick is not a bantam, no feathers on the legs, and is quite friendly.

I know its too early for sexing. But what breed are they???

1. This chick is a bantam. Can't get a good view of this one's crest/wattles so on the fence about it but thinking pullet.

2. This chick is also a bantam. Probable male, crest is a little wide for a female that age with that crest type.

3. This chick has feathers going down the legs and the legs are kind of a blue-y colour. Its not a bantam. This one's male. It looks like a pullet until you look closer. Wattles that size and swollen crest spikes at that age = male.

4. This chick is not a bantam, has feather going down its legs and its quite colourful. It think its a roo because its getting quite the head gear already. Yes, definite male. Because he's developing faster than the others chances are he will be dominant.

5. This chick is not a bantam, no feathers on the legs, and is quite friendly. I see nothing obviously male about this one and that's generally a good indication that it's female. By the time they're two weeks older you should see for sure what gender they are, as unlike some 'what gender/breed' threads yours aren't very delayed in the gender development departments. They can develop a heck of a lot faster, but that's on special diets and reared free range. Yours are normal for an average diet and husbandry method.

I know its too early for sexing. But what breed are they??? I reckon they're mongrels/mutts, not purebreds. I've produced these sorts of colors from complete mongrels but can't offhand think of any purebreds that match these exactly. But I'm more of a mongrel fan, not purebred, so maybe someone else can clarify there.

Best wishes.

Hello Again! So, the chicks are now two weeks older and it's time for updated photos! Wow, its hard to get pictures of them. So active. Hopefully now their sex or breed could be more easily determined?

1. Again, this is my little black bantam, named Pengu.

2. This is my little bantam named Petrie.

3. This is my chicken named Pecker Head.

4. This is probably a rooster. He is named Siren.

5. This is my chicken... Named Chicken. haha.

So, what do you guys think?? What sex and breed?? =D

Numbers one and two look exactly like my bantam black cochin hen.
The others I do not know but I do not see anything that screams rooster.

Nice mix of colors.

Feathering and comb development's strange here, lol... I'm still on the fence about some but Pengu looks like a definite pullet, though that one always did, and Siren is obviously male, but he was obvious before too... The others are being a bit weird, it's strange for them to show the development they did at four weeks and then put on the brakes before 6 weeks rather than hit the accelerator so to speak. Some genetic lines do that though, not that they're the majority. Due to the inconsistency I'm just going to wait and see, but I am still betting on mongrels rather than purebreds. They may be crossbreds but they look like the same sort of mixed features you get from any backyard of different breeds.

Best wishes.

Can someone tell me if this is a rooster? Was told it's a hen but started making rooster noises.

Can someone tell me if this is a rooster? Was told it's a hen but started making rooster noises.
That's a rooster. You can tell because of the sickle feathers (long, curved feathers in the tail) coming in, and because of the saddle feathers (longer, pointy, feathers near the tail, behind the wings-- only males get these, females have blunt ones).

Alright, they are two month old now!!! LETS UPDATE WITH PICTURES!! I actually picked up a bunch more chicks, so I'll introduce you.

1. PENGU! I have learnt that Pengu is a bantam Cochin! But what sex??

2. PETRIE! I have also learnt that Petrie is a bantam Cochin. What sex??

3. PECKER HEAD!! Probably a mix, but what sex?? (Best picture I could get.)

4. SIREN! I have learnt that Siren is a Silkie and Barred Rock Mix! I still think he's a rooster.

5. CHICKEN! I have learnt that Chicken is an Easter Egger. But what sex??

Introducting Four New Chicks!!!

6. Phoenix! She is a Road Island Red. I was told she's a hen--what do you think???? She's about 3.5-4 Months, I think.

7. This is a Silkie and Barred Rock Mix. No idea what the sex is. About 2.5 months old.

8. Silkie number one! I have no idea what the sex is. I think about 2.5-3 Months Old.

9. The second Silkie I got. And no, I don't know the sex. Any ideas?? I think about 2.5-3 months old.

So, what do you guys think?? Are the sexes clearer now??

Back
Top Bottom