What breed and sex please

Spoiled1_629

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
Midland, TX
My mother in law ordered chicks from McMurray and she gave me a few. She said she ordered the rare assortment. I have 2 that I am not sure what they are.

Pic 1: I have named her Prissy, hoping I am right that she is a hen. She has copper coloring on her chest and a little white under her chin. Her back and tail feathers also have a bluish green tint to them in the sun

100505_2011_750.jpg

Pics 2 & 3 are of the same bird... right now I am calling it Boss, I am pretty sure it is a roo and the same breed as Prissy, but want confirmation. He (?) has been really slow feathering out. They are 7 weeks old today and his back and shoulder feathers just came in this week. Prissy was fully feathered at 5 weeks. His bottom is still a little bare and I think I see spur buds beginning on his legs. The thing that confuses me is the lack of comb?!?!? Please help.

100505_2011_759.jpg

100505_2011_764.jpg

#2,3 is a rooster, hard to tell what #1 is? can you get a better picture? I'm leaning toward a hen!
D.gif

stupid question....What is a black sex link? Is that a mix of some kind. I have seen it said alot on here but they all seem to look different to me.

#1 looks similar to some I hatched in April that are a croos between a BA roo and hen was a RIR/Buff cross

Here is another picture of #1 (Prissy) I am pretty sure she is a hen, I just can't figure out what breed. I am brand new to chickens.
100505_chickens_004.jpg

Here is another picture of #2 (Boss). As far as comb type..... ummmm... guessing here, but I would say probably rose comb. It is still very small and yellowish. His face is starting to redden around the eyes and cheeks though.
100505_chickens_009.jpg

They look like BSL to me, but why would they include that in the Rare Assortment? There have been a few people posting pics of their birds that came from a Rare Assortment, but none of them are actually rare. Even if they were BA, that's not included on the list for MMH Rare & Unusual, Rarest Of The Rare, or Rare Special.

I think you're right about their sex. I doubt it's a sex link if they're from the rare assortment. They remind me of Australorps as well.

Do Australorps have the copper coloring on the chest area? I have another black hen that I am pretty sure is an Australorp, she is a little smaller than these 2, but all black. I haven't posted any pictures of her.

Back
Top Bottom