What breed are my 4 pretty ladies??

5paceDandy

In the Brooder
May 20, 2022
Yakima, WA
I have had these lovely ladies for going on 7 weeks now, they were a surprise from my partner, but he doesn't know what breed they are. After looking at breed pictures I was thinking they are either Roun, or Mallards, but I am inexperienced and unsure. Any educated guesses as to what breed my ladies are?

Attachments

• 20220520_180143.jpg
    20220520_180143.jpg
    919.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220520_180146.jpg
    20220520_180146.jpg
    919.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220520_180157_1.gif
    20220520_180157_1.gif
    7.6 MB · Views: 4
Looks like Rouens. Sure they're lady's? I see some green heads, maybe a drake feather on one?
To be completely honest, I have no idea for sure if they are ladies, or drakes. I figured because they are all brown, except for a few small white feathers and what looks like 1, or 2 blue feathers on the wing. I tried to post a small video clip, but it says it's the wrong file type. The clip is an mp4, is there a type that will work?

To be completely honest, I have no idea for sure if they are ladies, or drakes. I figured because they are all brown, except for a few small white feathers and what looks like 1, or 2 blue feathers on the wing. I tried to post a small video clip, but it says it's the wrong file type. The clip is an mp4, is there a type that will work?
You need to upload a video to Youtube, then copy and paste the youtube link here. Unfortuently BYC doesn't allow you to directly upload a video. Any video platform will work, we just need a link.
Smart on the video, the best way to tell gender at this age is with their voices.

This is pretty much the spitting image of my girls!

View attachment 3118255
You have beautiful ducks! I know they look like girls but they all start out with coloring like a female (juvenile plumage). If I had to guess, I think you have 3 boys and 1 girl. The girl is in the upper left of the pictures. As others have stated, you can voice sex. There are additional, more subtle, color cues. Here is a link discussing some in young Rouens https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-rouen-ducks-6-weeks.778559/. Otherwise, they will get their breeding plumage in another month or so. Then, you will know for sure.

If you do end up with 3 boys and 1 girl you will need to look into fixing that ratio or your girl will be harmed.

Also, in your video, it looks like one of the boys has angel wing. It can be helped with wrapping. You can search this site for more info. on that.

Back
Top Bottom