What breed are my chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by toverly, May 17, 2018.

1. toverly

toverly In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    I have 11 chicks that I got as a "rare breeds" assortment and I'm having a hard time figuring out what breeds some of them are. Can anyone tell from these pics what breeds any of these 4 chicks are? I have more pictures available if needed.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    Where did you get them from? That black could be and Australorp, Jersey Giant, or Maran. I'm thinking Maran based on the sheen of it's feathers already.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    More pics. Make sure to get the comb in a photo and for the black bird it's feet pads.

The only one I can say from photos so far is the Golden Laced Wyandotte. It's in the second and partial third photo.

4. toverly

toverly In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    Yes I know I have 3 Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks and 3 Lavender Orpington chicks and a Partridge Cochin. I thought I had a Welsummer also from her chick fluff markings but now she has a white chest which I don't think Welsummer chicks have. (Its the chick in the 3rd pic) They are only 8 weeks old so they don't really have combs. I'll try to get more pics

5. toverly

toverly In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    I got them from Meyer Hatchery- the Rare Breed Assortment

6. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The first I can't see too clearly. Second looks like a silver spangled Hamburg. Third is a speckled Sussex. I'd guess the last is a Jersey Giant after looking at their list.

drumstick diva likes this.
  7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Crowing

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    New Hampshire Red
    Silver Spangled Hamburg
    Speckled Sussex
    Black Sumatra

8. toverly

toverly In the Brooder

Mar 23, 2018
    Thanks everyone for your help.... after looking at the options for the black one I do believe it is a Black Sumatra mainly because of the way it looked as a chick (which I don't have pictures of). Now that I know all the breeds I can finally make the name plates to hang on the coop. I guess I'll need to actually give them all names first. Yikes!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2Gray Farms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: