What breed are my chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sky bird, Sep 21, 2013.

1. sky bird

sky bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Southern Missouri
    Hi. I'm currently using skybird's user until I finally make a user of my own on here. I'm her sister. I have 8 one month old mille fleur d'uccle chicks. Well, at least, I think they're d'uccles. I'm afraid that they're not the correct breed, and I was shipped wrong chicks. Anyway, I am trying to figure out what kind of chickens I have. They, obviously, are bantams. They have:

-booted feet.
    -are bearded.
    -for the (supposedly boys) they have mostly orange coloring, some dark. But the hens have more of black and orange. But I'm afraid that these are not d'uccles, because they don't have much white. A few of them are growing in very few white feathers, even though they're still a month old. Can somebody please post a picture of a 1 month old mille fleur d'uccle? Can anybody identify my chickens and their breed? I'm terribly upset, because even when they were chicks, I compared them to pictures, and they were mostly black with a orangey chest.

Thanks!

This is a 1-month old hen (supposedly); sorry for the bad pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I thought maybe Bantam Brahmas, but I don't think they have beards.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You're right, those don't look like Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded D'Uccles. In fact, they don't really look like any breed that I've seen. Where did you get them from?

4. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    That's a really BIG chicken to be D'uccle! Mine I'm still not sure if she is a D'uccle or Booted Bantam yet (pretty much the same thing with or without muffs and a beard) and she easily fits in my hand at almost 7wks. She's quite a bit smaller than my Silkie who is the same age! My four year old carries her around in one hand (alseep! It's adorable!)

Yours are cool looking, whatever they are! Maybe EE mixed with something feather legged? Don't take my word for that though, lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that they are purebred. Belgian Bearded D'Uccles have a different color pattern. The muffs make me think that she is a mix, maybe with an Easter Egger.

6. lazypifarm

lazypifarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Grand Prairie, TX
    She definitely doesn't have the mille fleur coloring, but other than that, she looks like a big d'Uccle. Maybe they get the white spangles later? I know that in Russian Orloffs and Speckled Sussex, they start out dark and get more and more white dots as they get older.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    The white spangles increase with age. They are d'Uccles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by